•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS M5 announced
I'll wait for the more in depth reviews before judgement but on price alone this isn't the camera I was looking for. Half that, maybe...

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
 It's a very nice looking camera, great for video, but no 4K?

The adapter means any Canon shooter can just pick up the body..

This camera probably will probably be the biggest turning point for mirror-less cameras...

now what is Nikon going to do about it?

Dave's clichés
Quote:I sort of doubt that the M5 is comparable to those models.

Compared to the M3 the specs are not THAT much better.

Does it have a full electronic shutter? Or at least an electronic first curtain? The shutter in the M3 is really poor.
The camera lacks 4k (not sure who really wants to shoot 4k at this moment in time, though), the other two offer that.

The Canon offers better usability/ergonomics in return.

O-LED EVF, 7 fps with AF, smoothest video AF of all, pretty ok photo AF including tracking, 24.5mp, it seems in the ball park of that Sony and that Pana.

Quote: It's a very nice looking camera, great for video, but no 4K?

The adapter means any Canon shooter can just pick up the body..

This camera probably will probably be the biggest turning point for mirror-less cameras...

now what is Nikon going to do about it?
Nikon made its first steps with stepping motors in a DSLR lens (without a sensor in the camera to make much use of it in live view/video...), so they slowly are researching things.

The odd thing: Nikon 1 does offer PD AF live view and fast live view tracking. Everyone claims that Nikon 1 is stopped, so I am sure behind the scenes Nikon is developing either APS-C or FF mirrorless.
Quote:Ok, the video mentions bursts without viewfinder blackout. That should translate to a full electronic shutter.

Nah, it doesn't ... like it's 2012 ...
It looks nice, however it has so much competition I can't see many people picking it over a fuji or sony or mft.

Back in 2012 this would have been great success as the support from the ef lens lineup would have smoothed the transition, especially in the telephoto ranges. However the other systems have pretty complete lens lineups now so I think Canon have missed the boat with that advantage. Its only high speed teles that the other systems don't compete, but this is hardly eos m territory. 

Sony cameras (and Olympus cameras and Pentax DSLRs) with IBIS had issues with shutter slap. This Canon won't have issues with shutter slap.

Upside to electronic shutters: no shutter slap issues with IBIS. And no sound.

The downside to the electronic shutters: jello effect in stills (only very high end video cameras have no jello effect with global electronic shutters).

Ergonomically it does everything very good and in many details better than the competition at the moment. Yeah, you can complain about the real shutter. Wink

Those who need 4K (who are they?), look elsewhere. Those who want big aperture primes, look else where too (Sony A7 series, Fuji X).

Quote:(not sure who really wants to shoot 4k at this moment in time, though)

Since I first saw 4k footage on a 4k Monitor - count me in. To me the difference in resolved detail is comparable to the step from standard definition to 1k. Of course 4k is pointless without excellent stabilisation e.g. http://www.dji.com/osmo. I guess/hope I will live long enough to watch my 1k footage on an 8k monitor at 100% 'magnification' :-p
You need 4k screens, a 4k audience, 4k talent in shooting/framing, 4k capable editing hardware.... 4k is not exactly for home videos. 

A weird hype in consumer and amateur land.

Quote:Those who want big aperture primes, look else where too (Sony A7 series, Fuji X).

Surely this is pratically all amerature (and pro) photographers?

With regards 4K I think anybody who tries to shoot decent 1080 footage will want 4k. Not so much for the final output, but the option to crop/pan/zoom/stabilise in post is a killer feature. Also down resing 4k to 1080 produces much better quality footage than shooting 1080 strait up. Another issue this is likely to come up is the quality of the 1080 footage, Canon has a history of rather soft image quality compared to their peers.

Of course actually shooting good video footage is pretty difficult so this is perhaps all a bit academic...  Smile

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next