Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Oly lenses ... specs
Oh yeah! Fell into the marketing hyperbole trap in combination with wishful thinking...

did anyone noticed the 25 1.2 Pro? 

14 group 19 sheets???

A standard prime with 19 sheets??

Otus 55 has only 12 sheets     Voigtlander  25 0.95 has only 11 sheets

I wonder if the 43Rumor got some mistake  or  Oly really design a king of standard prime?

Quote:did anyone noticed the 25 1.2 Pro? 

14 group 19 sheets???

A standard prime with 19 sheets??

Otus 55 has only 12 sheets     Voigtlander  25 0.95 has only 11 sheets

I wonder if the 43Rumor got some mistake  or  Oly really design a king of standard prime?

In the very theory - more elements = more correction which is a good thing.

On the other hand  - more elements = high risk of de-centering and slightly worse light transmission (although I doubt that the latter is significant these days).
Ah guess there might be an error in the translation somewhere... 19 elements is more characteristic of a fast zoom (Canon 24-70/2.8 L II is "only" 18/13 and the 70-200/4 L IS is 20/15 but it's stabilized...)

Seems as if the 12-100m f/4 is also a 1000USD+ lens ...

Can it be that the industry is determined to kill itself?
Quote:Seems as if the 12-100m f/4 is also a 1000USD+ lens ...

Can it be that the industry is determined to kill itself?

Absurdly big and absurdly priced indeed.

I just don't see the point of such a massive lens. The 12-40 is comparatively small and light while being much brighter and offering some sort of DOF control.

At f4, this 12-100 is just too limiting. If it had been small, yes, maybe. But at this size, it is plain silly.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I don't have such an issue with the size - it is a 24-200mm lens after all.

The new Canon EF-M 18-150mm f3.5-6.3 IS STM looks attractive in comparison (price/weight wise) even though it does not go as wide (29-240mm FF equivalent) and it is a tad slower on the long end (and not weather sealed). It was my first reaction to this f4 Oly..... Pro (high price) with f8 FF equivalent aperture? What is the sense of that?

High quality travel zoom ...
Quote:The new Canon EF-M 18-150mm f3.5-6.3 IS STM looks attractive in comparison (price/weight wise) even though it does not go as wide (29-240mm FF equivalent) and it is a tad slower on the long end (and not weather sealed). It was my first reaction to this f4 Oly..... Pro (high price) with f8 FF equivalent aperture? What is the sense of that?
I would probably be fine with that for most kinds of work I do - it's no longer as centered around low light as it used to be, and I do most of my daytime work stopped down anyway. In any case I'm not the one to obsess over equivalence or whatever - since I never owned / desired a 35mm camera I do not have the urge to compare stats - real or imaginary - to a measuring stick that bears no relevance to me.

Of course, that could not be my only lens, or even system, so branching out into that seems pretty pointless to me unless I do a complete overhaul.