Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Oly lenses ... specs
Quote:I wasn't aware Panasonic released their lenses' specs. Where did you see it?
Wooops, I humbly apologize. My bad - it isn't out yet so hope remains for a lighter and smaller lens like you mentioned and I am also hoping for!
Quote:Unfortunately while the 12-60 F2.8-4 may just be a little smaller on the outside (98.5mm x 79.5mm), it's actually a little heavier at 575 g.... so forget about that aspect. Plus usually the brightness advantage disappears quickly and would only be fully available at the less useful wide angle side which for all intents and purposes makes it a f4 lens as well.

It will come down to optics for me because I don't see much else being different (incl. price)

This is the size of the Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ? Did you take this one as a guidance ?
Quote:This is the size of the Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ? Did you take this one as a guidance ?
Yes it's the old one when I thought I had the specs of the new one. So a dumb mistake, however, looking at the pic of the lens that is the new lens, it may very well end up with similar specs.
Yeah, it's likely. The oly 12-60 was pro-spec and the Leica will be similar. Maybe a little shorter.

Honestly I was almost about to buy the Oly (once again, also the 50-200mm SWD) ... it's such a nice lens and it should be pretty usable via adapter.

From the photos it looks smaller than the Oly 12-100 though.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:From the photos it looks smaller than the Oly 12-100 though.
Maybe so but the new 12-60 is clearly longer, and also slightly thicker than the old Oly 12-60 (posted by Photokina visitor on DPreview), so the difference in size (and likely weight) with the Oly 12-100 are likely going to be very small at best. Not happy about that, but I guess that's the price to pay for Pro specs.
Quote:Maybe so but the new 12-60 is clearly longer, and also slightly thicker than the old Oly 12-60 (posted by Photokina visitor on DPreview), so the difference in size (and likely weight) with the Oly 12-100 are likely going to be very small at best. Not happy about that, but I guess that's the price to pay for Pro specs.

OMG, I need to get my head checked. The picture shows the "slow" 12-60 which of course is very small. So let hope come back to all incl. me. I will now stop posting for a while Smile
Finally the (rumored, but probably correct) specs of the NEW 12-60...

Quote:Maybe so but the new 12-60 is clearly longer, and also slightly thicker than the old Oly 12-60 (posted by Photokina visitor on DPreview), so the difference in size (and likely weight) with the Oly 12-100 are likely going to be very small at best. Not happy about that, but I guess that's the price to pay for Pro specs.

From http://www.43rumors.com/

Attractive specs for a "travel/all-purpose" zoom. Let's hope IQ holds up.

LEICA DG Vario-Elmarit 12 – 60 mm F 2.8 – 4 Power OIS
– Lens construction: 12 groups 14 pieces (4 aspheric lenses and 2 ED lenses)
– Shortest shooting distance: 20 cm (wide angle), 24 cm (telephoto)
– Maximum shooting magnification: 0.3 times (converted to 35 mm 0.6 times)
– Shake correction: POWER OIS
– Filter diameter: 62 mm
– Size (maximum diameter × length): 68.4 mm × 86 mm
– Weight: 320 g

Quote:Finally the (rumored, but probably correct) specs of the NEW 12-60...

From <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.43rumors.com/">http://www.43rumors.com/</a>

Attractive specs for a "travel/all-purpose" zoom. Let's hope IQ holds up.

LEICA DG Vario-Elmarit 12 – 60 mm F 2.8 – 4 Power OIS

– Lens construction: 12 groups 14 pieces (4 aspheric lenses and 2 ED lenses)

– Shortest shooting distance: 20 cm (wide angle), 24 cm (telephoto)

– Maximum shooting magnification: 0.3 times (converted to 35 mm 0.6 times)

– Shake correction: POWER OIS

– Filter diameter: 62 mm

– Size (maximum diameter × length): 68.4 mm × 86 mm

– Weight: 320 g
A 24-120 equivalent that's quite interesting as a range if it comes with good image quality and light weight that makes it ideal as travel lens or a lens for photojournalists.

When you're into MFT shallow DOF isn't generally your priority
It would be interesting to see solid reviews of the new 12-100f4 and the lecia 12-60f2.8-4; I suspect the 12-100f4 will be more interesting of the two but we shall see (soon). Also leica introduced a 35-100f2.8 mk2 (not sure how the mk2 differ from mk1) ?