Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus - 3 new lenses
http://photorumors.com/2016/09/06/update...-pictures/

25mm f/1.2

12-100mm f/4 PRO

30mm f/3.5 macro

The PRO seems to be rather big which is good new (regarding the potental performance).

The macros seemst to be able to go down to 1.25:1 when looking at label on the lens.

I am not so much excited about the 25mm (for the known reasons).

Almost as if Olympus copied the Canon EF-M 28mm f3.5 macro but forgot to include the LEDs for illumination at 1.25:1.

Just that Olympus' "copy" looks more like a lens than a plastic torch  :lol:

But seriously, I would not be surprised, if Olympus offers also a LED light for the filter thread. Just to squeeze a little bit more money out of it. I like the Canon solution better.

The Canon's finish is metal, the Oly's finish is plastic Wink

So, you already had both lenses in your hand and of course, tested it with the very big surprise how much better the Canon is  :lol:

Of course, useless to ask. But even IF the Oly is plastic, i bet, it's wethersealed. Canon says "no" to this question... But who will do macros in the rain anyway? Olympus already has LED lights (to be mounted in the hot-shoe, with flexible arms)

Quote:So, you already had both lenses in your hand and of course, tested it with the very big surprise how much better the Canon is  :lol:

Of course, useless to ask. But even IF the Oly is plastic, i bet, it's wethersealed. Canon says "no" to this question... But who will do macros in the rain anyway? Olympus already has LED lights (to be mounted in the hot-shoe, with flexible arms)
Better the Canon is? Just made a joke about the outer finish because you said the Canon looks more like a plastic torch.

Led lights will be cumbersome/useless "on fliecible arms" at 1.25:1 due to the very short focus distance (see the focus distance at 1.2:1 for the 28mm Canon).
Right, Olympus gives something like 9.5 cm (with lens and camera, so front lens distance even much smaller). Lighting is a problem here. I just made better experiences on most objects without direct frontlight, but there are subjects when this s the only way to go.

Quote:I am not so much excited about the 25mm (for the known reasons).

What "known reasons"?

This 25 looks way too big for what it is (especially when you compare it to the Fuji 35 f1.4 which is quite compact).

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:What "known reasons"?

This 25 looks way too big for what it is (especially when you compare it to the Fuji 35 f1.4 which is quite compact).
Maybe that it is "merely" equivalent to 50mm ff2.4 on FF 135 format, and will cost quite bit? Just a guess.
Quote:Maybe that it is "merely" equivalent to 50mm ff2.4 on FF 135 format, and will cost quite bit? Just a guess.

If you think of the 25mm f1.8 which is "merely" a 50 f3.6 it sounds even worse in terms of DOF control. However, I don't think this lens falls in the "known reasons" stated above, hence my original question.
--Florent

Flickr gallery