Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report - Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8
Meet awesomeness ... minus a bit 

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff...batis85f18

very nice. With regards the F8 /11 and diffraction limit oddness, if you were bored you could maybe compare depth of field with another lens  so see what the lens is actually doing...

Wowser, what a resolution graph?

The real deal is it has AF..........another lens to admire over the fence!

Oh, the aperture blades are a little disappointing.
The HR sign kinda seems to be missing. Smile

Otherwise, I flubbed the guessing game at PZ's Facebook... thought it was a 50/1.4 ZA. Oh well, no cookies for me today. Smile

Had to choose between this and the Batis 25/2 at the same price and went for the 25/2. Made a few test shots with this lens and was very impressed. Beyond what the resolution graph tells you, the lens has a marvellous rendering and creates beautiful images.

I'd love to shoot this against the Sony 85/1.8. Pretty much every test said they are pretty close in terms of technical quality (which I doubt after seeing that MTF graph, what the hell is that? Pretty impressive) but I'd actually like to compare how the images look.

Lovely lens, good example of F1,8 lens that delivers with spades. Pity for rather slow AF.

Quote:I'd love to shoot this against the Sony 85/1.8. Pretty much every test said they are pretty close in terms of technical quality (which I doubt after seeing that MTF graph, what the hell is that? Pretty impressive) but I'd actually like to compare how the images look.
I second that, would love to see it compared to Sony’s counterpart. It is supposed to be a great performer.
Why is vignetting so poor on these lenses. Is this true of traditional lenses and folks just didn't notice or are they cutting corners to keep the lens smaller ? For some reason I thought short tele onward should have very low vignetting.

I assumed they traded distortion and vignetting for improved resolution.
Quote:Why is vignetting so poor on these lenses. Is this true of traditional lenses and folks just didn't notice or are they cutting corners to keep the lens smaller ? For some reason I thought short tele onward should have very low vignetting.

Zeiss pretty much always trades vignette for other stuff. Trading away distortion and CA is also quite common and is usually expected with Zeiss designs. Those are the easier to correct, especially digitally, so I don't mind at all.
Distortions correction comes at a cost.

Can you give the Results of the digitally corrected lens? Anyway that's what the users will actually have