Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evaluating Test Results on Non-DX Cameras for my D5500
I have a D5500. I notice more lenses are tested on the Canon APCs and full format Nikon than Nikon APC. Should I pay closed heed to the tests on Canon APC rather than Nikon full-frame in drawing conclusion about my DX? Also, I believe than when sample photos are provided at least one portrait of a human should be included. Am I wrong? I love Photozone and it is my primary source of research when considering lenses.

The person in charge of the Nikon testing is busy with... "life and things", preventing him to put much time into testing at the moment, as far as I understand. That is why there are not many reviews the last few years. 

It is a good idea to red tests of 3rd party lenses tested on Canon, sure.  If a lens performs well on Canon, it will perform fine on Nikon too.

The current outlook is that Markus will be back to normal ops in October.

However, the general problem with APS-C is that there have been very few new (dedicated) lens releases. That's not only true for Nikon but also Canon. We'll not just retesting old stuff for the sake of it - there are simply too many lens releases for other systems ... and full format.

About portraits - well, taking photos of strangers is generally illegal unless they agree and hiring a model is not an option.

Quote:The current outlook is that Markus will be back to normal ops in October.

However, the general problem with APS-C is that there have been very few new (dedicated) lens releases. That's not only true for Nikon but also Canon. We'll not just retesting old stuff for the sake of it - there are simply too many lens releases for other systems ... and full format.

About portraits - well, taking photos of strangers is generally illegal unless they agree and hiring a model is not an option.

Normal?   Wink

Selfies are all the rage! 

Quote:Normal?   Wink

Selfies are all the rage!

There is, of course, another point to this. Shooting test charts is plain boring and at least for the sample images I'd like to have some fun - and no, potraits don't qualify here for me. My spouse also hates them.
There are still the samples galleries of DPReview  Big Grin They use to have portraits, but the risk is, to get biased because the model looks great.

Sydney harbour bridge is for sure far more fun and less risky of a bias  Tongue