Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5D MK IV is out officially
Oh, I just noticed the 5D IV is more expensive than the 5Ds R.

Canon has some humor after all.

Seems almost as if they want people to go Sony.

Boring camera with no significant advancement. Im sure they will sell lots though
 Nobody wants to implement the most useful features on a top of the range FF cameras, the 5DMk4 is no exception!

Canon here, has just shot itself in the foot (excuse the pun) with it's unusable movie Jpg files and crop.

The dual pixel Raw mode is very clever, will that be usable?..  7Fps is Ok.  Moderate buffer.  AA filter. Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quwAvqcbLRw

Nice video & summary.
Quote:If you ask me the mk IV is just another dull evolution.

They could have implemented in-body IS at least - certainly for THAT price point.
And derail their whole M.O.?  Rolleyes That'd certainly lead to a very pissed off user base. Mind you, Sony still sells IS lenses as well as having in-body stabilization in their most advanced cameras, but they don't have the years of telling the users how much IBIS sucks (in comparison to state-of-the-art in-lens IS) behind them.  Big Grin

To tell you the truth, I have no interest in 5D Mark IV - just as I had none in any other 5D bodies before that, even the Mk.III - but it looks like a decent enough upgrade to the Mk. III (that it is a great camera in itself goes without saying). The Dual pixel AF, better AF coverage across the frame and full touchscreen operation are all solid points (don't call me out on the video features though - they're all Greek to me). I'm thinking that by this point, pretty much every camera update is bound to be considered dull and pedestrian, because the cameras have matured to the point where you could just as well use any modern body until it falls to pieces. We've crossed that threshold some time earlier this decade - certainly the 5D Mark II wasn't there yet due to very disappointing AF and continuous shooting speed while the 5D Mark III is definitely that kind of perennial all-rounder. Nikon D750, Sony A99... they're all in the same tier.

Yes, on of the reasons why the market has collapsed. We are back to the state where you can keep your camera 5 years+.

Exactly, I think Nikon and Canon know that their decision to go with OS years ago was a missed opportunity.

How can they change that now with their range of stabilized lenses?

Nobody has the whole package no matter what the price!

Pentax has done wonderful things with their IBS making it a super versatile feature...but then they can't get the AF-C together, then the lenses...

IMO Canon is too busy protecting their other products to bring out a one size fits all model, the result is you need two or three bodies to cover the game, you certainly need a another camera for movie mode here with these file sizes, I remember the K5!

There's some very clever marketing going on out there, we are all looking to buy the definitive camera, knowing full well that the next one we buy will tide us over until it turns up.......and of course it doesn't!

What a neat trick!

Enter Fuji?

I think I'm out of the loop for photography kit. It is all getting rather samey to me now, not just Canon but everyone. I haven't even summoned the energy to read up on the '4 but I was never a big FF user anyway.

For all the complaints we see here, I have to ask, are any of us the key audience for this product? At this price level, they're not targeting the impulse buyer but someone who knows what they want, and if this fits the description, I'm sure it'll sell enough to make them happy. I do wonder, how many higher end cameras (let's say full frame and above, although some arbitrary price limit might be a better classifier) are bought by enthusiasts/amateurs vs. semi-pros and pros? 

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I agree, it is a well rounded , refined camera for pros.

Quote:I think I'm out of the loop for photography kit. It is all getting rather samey to me now, not just Canon but everyone. I haven't even summoned the energy to read up on the '4 but I was never a big FF user anyway.

For all the complaints we see here, I have to ask, are any of us the key audience for this product? At this price level, they're not targeting the impulse buyer but someone who knows what they want, and if this fits the description, I'm sure it'll sell enough to make them happy. I do wonder, how many higher end cameras (let's say full frame and above, although some arbitrary price limit might be a better classifier) are bought by enthusiasts/amateurs vs. semi-pros and pros?

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the buyers will be amateurs/enthusiasts.

If I had to guess I'd bet on a 10:1 ratio amateurs vs professionals