Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter system what brand would you advise?
Quote: 

WTH(ell) is “what's a palava?

A palava is:  Dictionary definition: .... unnecessarily difficult  complication...over complex manner of dealing with a task.........

Definition à là Dave...... a way of doing something that is a pain in the butt.........a ball breaking process! Tongue  

BTW. This is every day commonly spoken  English!

No, it's not. "palaver" is the right term, otherwise you name the dictionary you saw "palava" in. Even autocorrection wants to make a "palaver" out of it  <_< To make it more difficult to understand you sometimes write slang in a way one needs to read it loud to understand - alright, it's rather wild guessing - the meaning and I actually don't get what you get out of this way of writing, but I also have sometimes difficulties to understand you posts.  Wink

just saying... but then, as well, I don't need to respond to things I don't know how they should be understood.

Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Studor13" data-cid="36239" data-time="1471780956">

BTW. This is every day commonly spoken  English!
</blockquote>
A show of hands, please.

How many people here have used palaver in the past, say 30 years?
Quote:A show of hands, please.

How many people here have used palaver in the past, say 30 years?
http://fr.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Palava

As with many things , you haven't heard the expression, then you do with amused surprise.

The same in French, when you haven't  grown up in a country, you can go fifteen years without ever hearing a common expression, after twenty three years of speaking french, I still hear "common" expressions that I've never heard/perceived before!

I've just checked with an English girlfriend (now), I asked the question; "Do we still want to go out , or is it too much of a palarva?"  

"No let's go out"  she said!

So off we go!

You must think that Photozone is located somewhere in your Empire.

Do a Google and work out what .de stands for.

Nobody is suggesting that you don't use palava every second day of the week but you are oblivious that you are on a forum where English maybe a member's third language.

Do you get it now?
Quote:http://fr.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Palava

As with many things , you haven't heard the expression, then you do with amused surprise.

The same in French, when you haven't  grown up in a country, you can go fifteen years without ever hearing a common expression, after twenty three years of speaking french, I still hear "common" expressions that I've never heard/perceived before!

I've just checked with an English girlfriend (now), I asked the question; "Do we still want to go out , or is it too much of a palarva?"  

"No let's go out"  she said!

So off we go!

Sorry but couldn't but tell this joke:

A french speaking man asks an english speaking  lady if she would  go on a date with him

the lady said "Never"

the guys replied " c'est bon, neuf heure, neuf heure et demi ?"

Dave I rely on you for translation
By quoting a site which gives an example with f***ing and "doofus" to try to explain "palaver" and write it false (that doofus will be the next expression, then? just to be prepared) you still miss the point, dave, that palava is a region in Czech republic  Rolleyes The biosphere should be interesting stuff for a 500 mm tele, no?

Look it up in a seriously big dictionary. I have only one with less than 700 pages and couldn't find it there. And keep in mind as Studor13 suggested that PZ forum is for most of us writing in a foreign language. I know the expression from German, but I think I use it less than twice a year.  :mellow:

Quote:By quoting a site which gives an example with f***ing and "doofus" to try to explain "palaver" and write it false (that doofus will be the next expression, then? just to be prepared) you still miss the point, dave, that palava is a region in Czech republic  Rolleyes The biosphere should be interesting stuff for a 500 mm tele, no?

Look it up in a seriously big dictionary. I have only one with less than 700 pages and couldn't find it there. And keep in mind as Studor13 suggested that PZ forum is for most of us writing in a foreign language. I know the expression from German, but I think I use it less than twice a year.  :mellow:
OK, Palaver!
Quote:You must think that Photozone is located somewhere in your Empire.

Do a Google and work out what .de stands for.

Nobody is suggesting that you don't use palava every second day of the week but you are oblivious that you are on a forum where English maybe a member's third language.

Do you get it now?
 I write what I write and you've learned a new word, what's wrong with that?
If you write, what you want to write, find a publisher and start a book. Here it's a forum, meaning "dialogue" or "debate". If one doesn't care much if his posts are comprehensive, I react in the way that I don't read it and first don't answer the weirder posts and after a while I don't read his posts at all. Your choice.

I really don't see a good reason why you insisting to remain incomprehensive? Freedom of age or what? Then you can start to think about finding a more proper audience.