Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon 1 discontinued?
http://nikonrumors.com/2016/08/16/dprevi...pment.aspx

I wonder if it means they are finally coming up with a proper mirrorless system.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
I still can't understand why Nikon/Canon are ignoring this market.

Quote:I still can't understand why Nikon/Canon are ignoring this market.

They seem very short-sighted: I believe they are afraid it would canibalize their DSLR line.

What they still don't seem to get is that from a business point of view, it's much better to keep customers in, even if they buy into mirrorless instead of DSLRs, than having them switch to a different brand (say Fuji for instance Tongue)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I think, Nikon is stronger in optics and mechanics than in electronics and software:
  • if I see how they struggle with WiFi,
  • how long it took them to be able to change aperture in LiveView video,
  • how long they had to come up with onboard AFMA,
  • how poor to use their RAW-converter is, after they were abandoning the NIK-version with U-points
  • how complicated and limited the flash system,
  • how poor the remote control app

I really still don't know if I wouldn't have looked somewhere else for a decent APS-C MILC. At the beginning I often thought, "the next version of the V3 I gonny try" but they kept changing the concept and after a while I was fed up with wiating for a better one. Especially because the sensor size was still a bit too small for me, but more important - I dodn't like they feel and the touch of the system, soem materials felt cheaper than the prices indicated.

Nikon stuggles in odd ways. Their 1 series is great AF wise. How is the live view AF and live view implementation on their DSLRs, meanwhile? It sucks. 

Not sure how those two facts can live side by side for all these years.

Simple try of explanation: They have different divisions for DSLR and System 1 and they don't interact or use synergies.

Although I never used one, I really like the idea of the 1 series. The pricing never made sense though. The only interesting models were priced above their level.

As for the AF, was it really that good? Given the deeper effective DoF it just didn't need to be as good as a bigger sensor camera would need.

On the other side of the fence, I don't think Canon are ignorant of the mirrorless movement. Yes, there is Sony, Fuji, the micro4/3 system... are they really making that much of a dent? No. I suspect Canon are brewing something beyond the half-hearted play so far, maybe something as big even as the FD to EF shift.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I just did again, what I did 3 years ago: Putting some Nikon 1 gear in a virtual bag. The body is not too expensive at first look around 600-650 $ with 18 MP, 20 fps (continuous AF, no shutter lag) or 60 fps (no AF), 160-12.800 ISO and 171 focuspoints. Sounds decent, no? But then: additional finder + grip + FT 1 adapter for FE lenses = 1350 $ or a kit with lens, finder, grip for around 1000 $ Not to mention half a dozen batteries... And two or three lenses of pretty slow apertures, oh yeah, very sexy... yawn.

It was never meant as something more serious than a second camera for wealthy people with big enough cupboards, there were no cool stories, no cool people using it, the pictures at the website don't look really good - I think it's an underestimated, overpriced camera (but this only because of expensive extras). No serious approach, on some of the PR pictures it looks like a toy camera. Rich guys toy... To convince more photogs, Nikon should have done some rental weeks - I think, after trying it I could feel it's worth or not, but buying into a probably dead end system? Only at less than half price!

Quote:Nikon stuggles in odd ways. Their 1 series is great AF wise. How is the live view AF and live view implementation on their DSLRs, meanwhile? It sucks. 

Not sure how those two facts can live side by side for all these years.
Very true, I'm sure it's nothing to do with a lack of knowhow.

It's almost like there's a cold war pact between the DSLR brands, with the agreement stating that Canon is allocated the rights to PDAF in LV and movie mode, while Nikon gets the best sensors and 3D AF, which leaves Pentax to pick amongst the bones with quadpoidal LCD screens, astrotracer and IBS.......

no one steps over the demarcation lines!