Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Samyang 20mm f/1.8 ED AS UMC announced
Quote:Non starter for Nikon  because of the AF-S 20mm F1.8 at $800 or what?..... 
Yeah. This one is â‚¬549 so the difference is not a magnitude (unless I'm way off with my exchange rate calculations). One has to be really cash-strapped to be trying to save on matches like this... but if you're cash-strapped, you're not dabbling into full frame cameras (just yet). I had no idea that the Sigma has been discontinued - good riddance, frankly, but it's still available as new where I live.

If only the Samyang had been an AF lens, but looks like it's impossible outside of the E mount. Though it will surely find its fans, just like (most of) the other Samyang offerings over the years. This time it's a lens that is not readily apparent in every other mount...

Quote:Yeah. This one is â‚¬549 so the difference is not a magnitude (unless I'm way off with my exchange rate calculations). One has to be really cash-strapped to be trying to save on matches like this... but if you're cash-strapped, you're not dabbling into full frame cameras (just yet). I had no idea that the Sigma has been discontinued - good riddance, frankly, but it's still available as new where I live.

If only the Samyang had been an AF lens, but looks like it's impossible outside of the E mount. Though it will surely find its fans, just like (most of) the other Samyang offerings over the years. This time it's a lens that is not readily apparent in every other mount...
Hmm a little more than one would have thought, I suppose a S/H Nikor 20mm would be a better alternative.
Quote:While I don't test it, it feels likely that almost all ultra-wides suffer from coma at max. aperture.

Well, the Samyang12mm f/2.0 NCS CS, according to reviews, performs pretty well in that respect (I own one since the beginning of the past year, but I haven't been able to try it in a coma-challenging scenario do far).
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
499 € for the photo version and 549 € for the cinema version.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8029526847...-20mm-f1-8

I became careful with asking for AF on wide and wide open DSLR lenses, but on mirrorless it's a different story. If one really wants it for star-trails, milky way, it can be good to have a fixed ∞-position.

Quote:While I don't test it, it feels likely that almost all ultra-wides suffer from coma at max. aperture.
Lenstip's coma test shows that the Samyang 14mm F2.8 does not suffer from coma even wide open on FF!

I bought the lens expressly for land/starscapes, but I forgot to check that parameter before ordering,   

so a minor Yee haw moment!    Rolleyes

Let's see if the Samyang 20mm F1.8 suffers from it, if it's of a low order it will be a very sort after lens for astro-photography, MF for infinity focus is no problem (forgiving Samyangs some somewhat lackadaisical calibration of this parameter, leading to DIY calibration  Utube videos).

The Nikon AFS 20mm F1.8 unfortunately does suffer from coma least ways on FF!