Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D
http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...wa105f2stf

Sample images will follow on Monday

Looks like you were in quite a bit of a hurry - the URL seems to imply that the test is of the 105/2 (but it's not so). Smile

Also, in the verdict, a competitor is named a "Canon EF 11-14mm f/4 USM". Smile

Finally, a "1x BR element" is mentioned in the spec table.  Wink

Other than that, well... the Old Frog is looking like an interesting alternative for those who are not afraid of using fully "dumb" lenses (I know I'm not one of those). Their lenses even look nice on the outside (I know not all of the off-brand lenses are aesthetically pleasing).

I think this was a vendor provided lens. Do you think that will have any impact on general quality (i.e, was the lens cherry picked) ?

A very positive review. I think you like it!

Quote:I think this was a vendor provided lens. Do you think that will have any impact on general quality (i.e, was the lens cherry picked) ?

Well, the first sample was centered.
Quote:Looks like you were in quite a bit of a hurry - the URL seems to imply that the test is of the 105/2 (but it's not so). Smile

Also, in the verdict, a competitor is named a "Canon EF 11-14mm f/4 USM". Smile

Finally, a "1x BR element" is mentioned in the spec table.  Wink

Other than that, well... the Old Frog is looking like an interesting alternative for those who are not afraid of using fully "dumb" lenses (I know I'm not one of those). Their lenses even look nice on the outside (I know not all of the off-brand lenses are aesthetically pleasing).

Yeah, darn copy & paste.

At least I discovered the URL error before you. ;-) I didn't bother to correct the link here in the forum.

The portal doesn't require the final text portion to identify the article.

I tested quite a bit this month but didn't publish something. I wanted to have this one done at least.

The Kickstarter campaign will start tomorrow.
Quote:A very positive review. I think you like it!

I'm not sure whether I have a use for a 12mm lens myself. The field-of-view is excessive really.
sounds like a challenge. I personally like using such lenses for a while, but tend to gravitate back towards more moderate focal lengths. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the new Voigtlander 12mm.

So as I understand it, you need to stop the lens down manually before taking an exposure? Will this be the same on Nikon cameras, or is this specific to Canons (because they don't have a mechanical aperture lever)?

On more request - if you take sample images, please shoot into the setting or rising sun a bit, I would be interested to see how flare-prone this lens is.

Thanks for the test!

I think the Nikon and Pentax version have a coupled aperture.

A flare test shot is certainly on my list.