Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor AF-S 105mm f1.4E ED to be announced soon
http://digicame-info.com/2016/07/af-s-ni...4e-ed.html

2.200 $... stiff call for cash.

Also, how will this lens compete with Nikon's 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor with VR which is good enough for 2 f-stops and has also a nice (enough) bokeh? I'm a bit suspicious when it comes to short fast tele from Nikon. The 85/1.4 G is pricey and wide open of limited use. The 58/1.4, if I'd count it as short sort of tele good for bokeh, but otherwise... Okay, I can see some use for a very good 105/1.4, but there's still this little itch of indirect AF in a DSLR, while Sony's 85/1.4 is simply spot on and much better wide open than the old Nikkor.

I really wonder what Sigma will unleash to photokina.

I think it is an interesting lens if they get the bokeh right. Stiff price though, although at least this lens appears to have the glass to justify the price a bit (taking into account the regular Nikon/Canon prices), contrary to the 58mm f1.4.

About Sigma, talk is of a 24-70mm f2.8 OS, and that "ugly" 85mm f1.4 will probably be replaced with an Art lens very soon?

The Sigma-rumours are dead since months now, I don't have any clue what to be expected. There was talk about an 85/1.4 Art, but so far I considered it wishful thinking. Maybe they bring something surprising? 50-100/1.8 was also not indicated by rumors.

I couldn't see any sign of VR written on the lens.

Optically no doubt it will be good, but I don't rate their level of construction as highly as they rate it's price tag. One of the things about the modern Nikon's, their plastic feels consumer boomer!

Wouldn't mind a S/H 105mm F2.8 VR micro though, they crop on  "le bon coin" for €500,

Oh cripes there I go again, (right hand give the left a slap)

A f/1.4 VR would be stretching things. Is there such a thing out there? I lost the overview somewhere I guess. ;-)

I remember f/1.8 lenses with image stabilisation.

Quote:Also, how will this lens compete with Nikon's 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor with VR...
Very simple. This is the pièce de résistance of 105mm lenses. I already have the 105mm f2 DC but if I had a spare 300€ to throw away I'd get this.

I say 300€ because if I was one of the first to get it, I could use it for a week/month and then sell it with only a small loss.

And bragging rights to go with it!
Quote:Optically no doubt it will be good, but I don't rate their level of construction as highly as they rate it's price tag. One of the things about the modern Nikon's, their plastic feels consumer boomer!...

They would be crazy to do this in plastic. My guess is, the body will be magnesium like the 85, 35, 24 f/1.4 series the 200/2 and the 105/2.8 VR micro as well. Everything else would only trigger the trolls <_< 

But we're still doing the same mistake, aren't we? Outside plastic, inside (invisible) metal = "crap". Outside metal, inside plastic = "great mechanical quality".

Horseshit!

So far I had two lenses slipping out of my hand at the wrong moment. One was a Sigma art (their "thermally stable composite" is a high end plastic with added materials and is molded, therefore plastic), the other a Nikkor 24/1.4. Both ended with a little dent in the filter thread - and that's it. Inside of both lenses the structures are mostly metal, whereas the first Sony lenses and Fujinons, too, have to rely on plastic. "Metal" is no sign for quality, scrap can also be metal...
Quote:But we're still doing the same mistake, aren't we? Outside plastic, inside (invisible) metal = "crap". Outside metal, inside plastic = "great mechanical quality".

Horseshit!
Very true.

I've heard that the vaunted "all metal" Tokinas of the recent vintage are exactly like the latter case you described: sturdy looking on the outside (enough to make the likes of Ken Rockwell sing them praise), but very flimsy on the inside, with tiny plastic screws and hooks holding all that (superficial) glory in one piece. A colleague dropped her Tokina zoom once, and it turned into a prime of two chunks held together by gaffer tape until she did something to it.

Regarding the lens at hand, I hope Markus can do an evaluation sometime. Smile (but from the Nikon side of life, I would also like to see the 24/1.8 reviewed - just for fun).

I think he said that the kind of plastic/finish of the plastic feels cheap. Not that using any kind of plastic is wrong?

One thing I noticed about this lens that might be a hint that it is not magnesium alloy: The magnesium lenses have the AF switch plate screwed on:

[Image: 2184_AF-S-NIKKOR-24mm-f1.4G_ED.png]

but with this new 105mm f1.4 it is part of the barrel shape:

[Image: nikon_105mmf1.4E%20ED_001.jpg]

But of course, that can also mean that they have refined the machining/designing proces.