Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Canon rumors
Just yesterday I updated the X-T1 with the latest firmware (from v3.something to v4.31 or so) - what a dramatic difference. If the X-T2 is even faster it'll be a killer.

It is really strange why mirrorless lenses cost so much more. Sure, the volume is surely lower but the price difference is often excessive. This makes them vulnerable once Canikon decide to enter the market.

Quote:Just yesterday I updated the X-T1 with the latest firmware (from v3.something to v4.31 or so) - what a dramatic difference. If the X-T2 is even faster it'll be a killer.

It is really strange why mirrorless lenses cost so much more. Sure, the volume is surely lower but the price difference is often excessive. This makes them vulnerable once Canikon decide to enter the market.
Nikon with the AF-S 58mm f1.4 with 9 elements? Wink
Quote:Nikon with the AF-S 58mm f1.4 with 9 elements? Wink

Exceptions apply ;-)
Apples with apples... I'm sure Canikon can make some f/1.8 mirrorless lenses in standard FLs, but Fuji offers a lot of those fast things: 8 primes as fast as f/2.0 or faster and all went home for PZ tests with good or better results. Also, Canikon would have the same problems: Not many people buying into it but offering a huge portfolio.

Canikons mirrorless would have to be outstanding for the first model to bring back the people already switched to Fuji. The other remaining "nothing as good as an optical VF" group would not care much about mirrorless. so the risk to flop is huge.

And regarding lens costs: The 58/1.4 is one sample, but most of the latest developments except 200-500/5.6 went the way "much more expensive than the predecessor: 300/4, 80-400, 24-70/2.8, 500, 600 and not all are that much better to justifiy the partly huge difference. Plus the usual Nikon issues like 300/4 VR with blind spots in taboo shutter speeds  :unsure:

The 80-400mm actually is much better than the old one? But compared to the new 200-500mm...

Most testers say the new 80-400 is better. And the 200-500 was the answer to the wave of affordable and very acceptable 150-600 zooms from third-party manufacturers. I don't want to bet, because I didn't compare, but I think, the third party lenses in the range of 200-500 still are as good as the Nikon. For Nikon relations it has to be called "affordable".

Well, we shouldn't forget that Fuji/MFT are small formats. Technically they should be (substantially) cheaper than their Canikon FF counterparts.

Some of the Fuji stuff is really affordable - take the 35mm f/1.4 but then you also got something like the 90mm f/2.

And let's not forget that most of these lenses aren't even fully corrected.

Yes, and to add some minus-point: Most are not WeatherResistant and look fromt he outside as made of metal, but inside plastic rules. No bad thing per se, but if the mount is screwed on a plastic disc, my confidence diminishes a bit. When my 56/1.2 fell down to the stone floor, I took some insights  Sad

But on the positive side: Except Sigma's new Globalvision lenses I don't know more than Fujinons which I can update the firmware - and on the 100-400, that was quite a differrence to notice.

there was once a rumour of the successor of 100D - i'm long eager to see a (even) smaller yet better version of it...

... then it disappeared

Quote:Just yesterday I updated the X-T1 with the latest firmware (from v3.something to v4.31 or so) - what a dramatic difference. If the X-T2 is even faster it'll be a killer.

I am wondering about the AF mechanism.  Typical SLR lenses do not focus well when used mirror-up (live view).  Mirrorless lenses have something to their focus mechanisms that SLR lenses do not.  I was always wondering how much that adds to the price.
enjoy