Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang AF 35 mm F2.8 FE vs Leica Sonnar 35mm F2.8 Lenstip review.
    It's time for the small guys (Samyang)  to pit themselves against one of the Demi Gods of the optical world.............

Leica!

Lenstip tests the tiny Samyang AF35 F2.8 and compares it against the Leica Sonnar 35mm F2.8!

To put things in perspective, the Samyang can be had for under $300, while the Leica sneaks in at a cool or was it hot?.........   $4,000!

So it's plastic fantastic vs German traditional engineering, probably at it's finest.

In reality one would expect Leica's experience to dominate in all areas....but does it?....

..it's no surprise as to which wins the mechanical battle, but which lens gets the optical cigar?

https://www.lenstip.com/518.1-Lens_revie...ction.html

Quote:    It's time for the small guys (Samyang)  ...

To put things in perspective, the Samayang can be had...

Is there also competition between Samyang and Samayang? Both Korean coolsters, no?  Big Grin

Isn't it a bit obvious? How many lenses per year really come from Leica's german factories? Then compare (manager) salaries, shareholders also want to swim in money and taxes and very soon 4 k€ appears bon marché.

I only see the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 mentioned in that review, no Leica?

Interesting, Dave. To stress the comparison results, they say:

Quote:[Coma has] been so far the only category where the Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/35 fared noticeably better than the cheaper Samyang.

But the defect appears at the FF borders, no problem if the lens is mounted on an APS-C camera. According the suggestion of Obican I've dropped the Sony in my evaluation list, and now I'm adding the Samyang.

Further in the review, they say that the Sonnar has less vignetting wide open (but more stopped down) and performs better with the sun in the frame.

Interesting, Dave. To stress the comparison results, they say:

Quote:[Coma has] been so far the only category where the Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/35 fared noticeably better than the cheaper Samyang.

But the defect appears at the FF borders, no problem if the lens is mounted on an APS-C camera. Further in the review, they say that the Sonnar has less vignetting wide open (but more stopped down) and performs better with the sun in the frame.

According the suggestion of Obican I've dropped the Sony in my evaluation list, and now I'm adding the Samyang.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:I only see the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 mentioned in that review, no Leica?

Me too. To be honest, I haven't even checked the review until just now.  :wacko:

This is gonna be an interesting thread. Full of Leica killers, even if the Leica is a Zeiss and doesn't cost 4 k€.
I think someone was really confused here... Smile

And Klaus should probably move this thread to the Sony forum.

There is no such thing as Leica Sonnar.

Quote:I only see the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 mentioned in that review, no Leica?

OK I fucked up it was the Sony Zeiss Sonnar 35mm F2.8 !

Anyway the Samyang beat "a" Sonnar F2.8!  Tongue 

Problems with my memory...I was reading about the Leica somewhere this morning at $4,000...

God knows where!

So it's actually a 300$ lens vs a 700$ lens and the 700$ lens has a much better build quality and better AF while the image quality is more or less equal?

Ok I've put my analyst on "Red Alert" (again) ...............after reading the Samyang review, I read the Leica Summicron 28mm F2.0 review on Lenstip...

I put both reviews in huge bowl stirring liberally whilst drinking several Pastis....and other......then a muscat would be nice....Oh where's the beers.....

.......then I forget completely what I'm  doing and stagger around for a while.....and write a nonsense on PZ confusing all I can remember about various lenses..........

....then if I'm lucky I awake the next day remembering nothing ......and scratch my head wondering who wrote that nonsense on PZ using my name!

I'm sure I have double :o  Tongue  B)