Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two weddings in the upcoming two weekends...
I don't do weddings but I have a close colleague and a relative are getting married. I will not be the wedding photographer however I promised them large prints as a wedding present.

If I do in each wedding three or four great shots, I will be satisfied.

For this Saturday wedding they will be having a photo-shoot at sunset in the park, then it will be the outdoor party. For the other one the party will be indoors.

Needless to say I will need my flashes. I already have 580EX and 600EX.

As of lenses I am well equipped with EFS 10-18 and 17-55f2.8 IS plus 8mm f2.8, tokina 16-28 f2.8, canon 50mm f1.4 25-105f4L and 100 mm macro.

I have two camera bodies 750D and 5D.

What setups do you suggest I go for. Would it be full frame or crop or should I take both since weight won't be a problem.

What do you suggest?
Having shot a number of weddings (not professionally I may add) with a 5d, the only issue was the auto focus in the evening. I generally resorted to shooting at f4 (with a 50mm 1.4) and zone focusing. An example here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/intmoth/albums/72157649028185158 

I don't think there is any difference in the rating of the two cameras you have in this regards.

I quiet like using off camera flash for Ceilidh shots (manual with phottix triggers).

Quote:What do you suggest?

Two bodies. One for wide angles and one for tele. You won't have so much time to be changing lenses but take a special portrait lens if you have one.

1. Wide angled 

2. Tele

3. 105mm f2 DC (Nikkor)
My plan for this weekend weding is EFs 17-55 on 750D plus 100mm macro on 5D for the photoshoot at sunset, I will have also the 50f1.4 ready. for the party it should be always EFs 17-55f2.8 plus 16-28 on the 5D while having the fisheye ready.

Of course reflectors plus flashes for outdoor photoshoot, only on camera flash for the party 

for the next wedding it will be  indoors with a church wedding so for the church it will be EFs 17-55 on 750D plus 100mm macro on 5D, for the memorial photo at the end of the ceremony I will set up a wireless flash system for the party it should be always EFs 17-55f2.8 plus 16-28 on the 5D while having the fisheye ready

^ - sounds like you have it covered!

One more thing is still annoying me it's the limited buffer.

5D is a catastrophe in this regard.

It's not about FPS I won't mind having one or two fps however I don't want to wait for the camera to write to the memory card. 30D never disappointed me here. Should I bring it? Or 750D with a fast SD will do the job?
Personally, I think you have your priorities wrong.

A wedding is all about emotions. You need to spend (a lot of) time with the couple to study their chemistry and doing a pre-wedding shoot to see what sort of compositions are likely to work and what will not.

You then need to scout the locations to get a feel of the mood that you want to create.

Fast SD cards or slow ones will be the least of your problems.
Quote:Personally, I think you have your priorities wrong.

A wedding is all about emotions. You need to spend (a lot of) time with the couple to study their chemistry and doing a pre-wedding shoot to see what sort of compositions are likely to work and what will not.

You then need to scout the locations to get a feel of the mood that you want to create.

Fast SD cards or slow ones will be the least of your problems
Studor13, what you are saying is true, if you are the wedding photographer and you have a job to achieve which isn't my case.

All I want is to get 2-3 good pictures and give the prints as presents, there will be someone else doing  this, I did it once and decided never do it again
Hire a 1dxii and go in guns blazing.... capture every emotion. Smile

14fps raw baby!!

Failing that I found my 5d a lot more satisfying than my 600d I owned at the same time. I think it was the shutter noise, more of a clunk rather than high pitched whine.
I did my first wedding.

The prewedding photoshopt for the bride was cancelled. During the party I noticed the photographers didn't have fisheye. So I took some pictures for the dance floor from above using fisheye. Live view and the tilt screen helped a lot.

For the rest Canon 17-55f2.8 did a brilliant job.

Mission accomplished. It is important to set your targets and know what you want.