Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kerlee 35mm f1.2 FF DSLR lens
Quote:That 11mm f4 from Irix, this 12mm 2.8 Laowa, interesting new developments.

The Kerlee 35mm f1.2 seems to be more than just another 35mm lens, when you look at the samples. It actually seems to have really smooth background bokeh. So, that, together with its f1.2-ness (which promisses a bit more blur) may set it apart from some/most competitors in the (fast) 35mm segment?
I'm sure some of the review sites are going to test it. EPZ in particular likes to test some "left field" lenses and brands like Meike, Lensbaby and whatnot. *snicker*

Doesn't look too bad for a 12 mm - some light fall-off, a little moustache distortion, and only a little smearing at the extreme edges. Unfortunately the pictures are shot with an 7R, and they do not provide an aperture value. Does look way way better than the old Sigma 12-24 for FF at 12 mm Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
More on the 12mm in early July I reckon.

Hi Klaus,

Does that possibly mean a test and review? Smile

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Now that he saw as all exited decided to trow something uncertain to come Big Grin

Quote:More on the 12mm in early July I reckon.
Guys, Klaus did learn a thing or two.

Anybody seeing a year?  :lol:

All Laowas come without electronic circuits, so nobody gets EXIF out of them. The main reason to sell them comparatively cheap. So, if there are alternatives, I'll look first at them.

To me the two Irixlens 15/2.4 are more interesting, because they cared about details like an opening in the hood for better polarizer-handling or also focus-lock for stra-trails. Plus they are not in the last century wherer there was not much EXIF...

As to the Flickr gallery: A couple of pictures are already corrected in perspective, because it's impossible to have skyscrapers at the image border parallel to the border when shooting from the ground. It's done well, but leaves me with the question how heavy the PP of them and the rest of the samples is?
EXIF information on the aperture is not all that important... I do not remember ever looking at EXIF info when I shot film  Wink

With a simple focus confirmation chip added to it, one can program it to say 12mm, and you can always be sure which lens you used (even though it should be pretty obvious, with12mm.)...

The lens will actually come straight from Laowa - just like the 105mm (thus it's an exception to the usual rule but I won't buy exotics for testing).

They said it'll ship this week. Kevin mentioned that the lens will have less than 1% distortions.

Wow, that is very impressive.

The 35/1.2 has been tested by EPZ (I told you they have a knack for spinning left field stuff like this) and... honestly I wouldn't bother. Wide open the results look soft over (if so... why use this?), and the edges are the same until past f/5.6, more until f/8 really. I think the Sigma 35/1.4 may be a better option???

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/dzoptics-kerlee-35mm-f-1-2-lens-review-29539