Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 6D or Canon 5D Mark ii
The 6D has 2 custom settings positions on its mode dial. The 5D mk II have 3 positions. Thanks for you mentioning them, I just now found out what I did wrong trying to use them on my 6D.

The handgrip has an IR eye on the front, for IR remote triggering. The "dot" next to it on the body is the self timer indication light. The 5D mk II has them both on the body. I bought a chinese copy of the IR remote for $0.99, and it is actually quite versatile a accessory. 

I do not thin that a wifi-SD card will offer remote live view?

Thanks for the additional comments!  You did such a good job of convincing me about the 6D I haven't checked back until now.  Incidentally, I'm surprised that they can get away with charging so much for for the 5D Mark iii, now that the 5Ds and 5Dsr are on the scene!

You're probably right to say ignore the lens.   Body only might be the best way to go.   But if I could get a great lens at a big discount...Which is probably only likely if the great lens is not a mainstream lens.  You never know!

The 5D Mark III looks like it's a lot better than the 5D Mark II, especially with regards to AF and operation speed. The 5DS/5DSR are slower, and 50 MPixels may not be for everyone. If I had been choosing between the 5D3 and 5DS, I would've chosen the 1D X the 80D the 5D3*.

* only if I had been choosing strictly between the two, though.

I'd choose the 5DS, for its high resolution. I do not use the high FPS (nor video), and the 5DS has an updated AF engine.

I'd take the 5DS too!  But I am a little short on funds...
Thankfully I'm not in any need of changing the camera! Two years (and three months to be precise) with the 1D Mark IV and I'm as enamoured with it as I was back then. Guess it says something about that unit. Smile

I wouldn't mind a 80D as a backup / second body though. But cameras are not like women - you can have more than one, and the other isn't going to be jealous. Big Grin

I've never purchased a camera while my current camera is still functional before.  But now I want to have a full frame camera to go with my 70D.  The 70D can take nice portraits, and it can do so with small affordable lenses.  But...I see portraits taken with a 6D and they are just stunning.  Also, with 80% of my lenses are made for a full frame camera, I'm lugging around extra weight for nothing!  

I really need to see how I like the 35mm format after 10 years of shooting APS-C, or smaller! 

If Shallow DOF is that important for you yes full frame is a good way also low light performance full frame has it, otherwise your 70D is just enough. If I were you, I would stay with 70D and invest in good quality lenses. Canon 50mm f1.2 or Sigma 50 or 85mm ART, also take a look at Sigma 50-100f1.8

I switched back to APS-C from full frame, now I have both and I rarely see myself using my 5D
Rather than the yet non-existent Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art, look at the pretty good Tamron 85mm f1.8 USD VC instead (or Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM).

With the right lenses, one can make stunning portraits with APS-C also, but if it is a certain shallow DOF/ lens look you are after (instead of just being impressed by certain photographers' talents) that require FF, by all means get a FF body (if you can afford the lenses with it too).

keep in mind that in Canon EFs you have some excellent lenses with no equivalent in full frame like EFs 17-55 f2.8 IS and Canon 18-135 STM which is gaining a lot of praise as you can check in the review here ts image quality is impressive throughout a wide zoom range.

If you don't have in mind lenses like Canon 85mm f1.2, Canon 135mmf2.0 or the reference Canon 70-200f2.8 IS forget about full frame for portraits