Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax K D-FA lens roadmap 2016
To keep track ...

I see at least two or three models from Tamron as "New" in that list. However, if the 24-70 is made by Tamron and Tamron itself calls it

Quote: 

In a Tamron first, a simple drip-proof structure is also featured

while Pentax gives it a WR, there could be actually an added value, no?

The idea, Pentax relabels Tamron lenses I got from this camerastore Video and I don't consider this has to be bad. It's just one way more the lens has to go in case of a repair.

Send it to Pentax and they ship it to Tamron. So what? If I send a lens to Fuji Switzerland, they send it over to the UK to get it fixed. I waited three weeks for a repair. A Sigma was back from inspection in three days.

Quote:I see at least two or three models from Tamron as "New" in that list. However, if the 24-70 is made by Tamron and Tamron itself calls it

while Pentax gives it a WR, there could be actually an added value, no?

The idea, Pentax relabels Tamron lenses I got from this camerastore Video and I don't consider this has to be bad. It's just one way more the lens has to go in case of a repair.

Send it to Pentax and they ship it to Tamron. So what? If I send a lens to Fuji Switzerland, they send it over to the UK to get it fixed. I waited three weeks for a repair. A Sigma was back from inspection in three days.

The Pentax-Tamron relationship is not that new. They also relabeled the 18-270mm for instance.

There's also the relabeled Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and 50-135mm f/2.8.The Tokina relationship dated back to the time when both companies were subsidiaries of Hoya.

As for the Fuji service - well, at least you have some sort of service. Locally defective lenses are always replaced it seems (which is a hit and miss again).
The Tokina relationship actually dated back from before Hoya bought Pentax Wink

And I doubt they "relabeled Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and 50-135mm f/2.8". The fisheye seems like a Pentax idea Wink and many of the Pentax-Tokina lenses were Pentax patents.

Even more, the Pentax lenses were made in the Pentax lens factory.

Just clarify me one point: 

Pentax and Tokina are they subsidiaries of a same company or not ?

or pentax is just making temporary alliances with different manufacturers

Pentax and Tokina are not subsidiaries of a same company. Pentax is a brand currently used by Ricoh Imaging Company. Tokina is Tokina Co., Ltd. and has ties with Kenko.

As Pentax does now belong to Ricoh and was bought from Hoya, who owned also Tokina, Tokina and Pentax are no longer members in the same group. It would be interesting, which brand is owned by who and which manufacturer does the real work - but as long as everything is working together...

Sometimes I wonder, though: recently I bought a Touit 12/2.8, made in Japan (by Cosina?), so "how much Zeiss is in there?" Are they doing more than only selling the brand-name badge and eventually the recipes for T*-coating. Keeping the 3 Otii in Oberkochen and the rest of Zeiss is spread all over the world? I'm just a little old-fashioned, I think: once those big names could select the best workers and managers, but these days, when managers manage today a tyre manufacture, tomorrow a tin-can and next week an airline, how much "brand-spirit" is left of them? With all those "outsourced" processes it still can be a good product, but the "creators" are more and more anonymous.

Maybe that's a reason I stick and like so much Sigma?

Almost all Zeiss lenses are made by Cosina. That does not make then Cosina lenses, though. It has been that way for decades. Contax was/is(?) a Cosina brand, and they produced the Zeiss lenses. Cosina's own lenses are marketed and sold as Voigtländer lenses, they obtained the rights to that old German company name.

Nikon still sells two film SLRs. The Nikon F5, and the Nikon FM10. The FM10 is a Cosina design and Cosina manufactured SLR. Cosina also co-designed, and manufactured, the Epson R1-D(s/x).

Quote:Pentax and Tokina are not subsidiaries of a same company. Pentax is a brand currently used by Ricoh Imaging Company. Tokina is Tokina Co., Ltd. and has ties with Kenko.

That was badly phrased and inaccurate. Tokina is Kenko Tokina, since a few years ago.

As for Hoya owning Kenko Tokina... from what I see that's not true. However, Kenko Tokina's shareholders are people with key positions within Hoya. So they're clearly linked.