Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use SD or CF cards
My 7D mkii takes both, and I already have both, however here's the problem:

SD cards are cheap, readily available, laptops have plugs for them, readers are cheap and widespread, however to have wifi on 7D mkii I need canon w-E1 SD card so i will have to use CF.

the point is I will use wifi just to download photos.

So my choices:

get more SD cards, use laptop reader

get W-E1 plus CF to always keep in camera, use wifi to download.

is wifi pratical and fast enough for downloading photos, is it practical ?

Get an SD to CF adapter.

Quote:Get an SD to CF adapter.
isn't it slow ?? I don't want to compromise writing speed 
I have no experience with the SD-wifi, but why not just get a card reader that reads CF, too? They're cheap, and you's stay flexible and still could use both slots, if required.
Editor
opticallimits.com

My camera also has dual slots, and the one before that also had this arrangement. I've been using mostly SD ever since I got that previous camera (Canon 1D Mark II N) because they're that much easier in operation. I've switched to Micro SD (the full size SD found themselves in my wife's possession and god knows what she's been doing with them... I also gave all the CF cards away to colleagues) in the last few years since I got a smartphone because it's a very nice option to be able to transfer the photos to the phone (and further) by just swapping them in and out like I would when using laptop. So I think SD should be the default choice for most people???

I think after having coming back from a wedding with many hundreds of images,  you will find WiFi will be too slow to download all your images in any sort of reasonable time......

.....it's better suited to sending a few smaller Jpgs to the family wedding members,

There's nothing wrong with SD cards and are cheaper than ever, CF cards are fading into oblivion slowly but surely...... readers are available in USB III form for very fast transfers.

And yes, my wife has a Wi-Fi SD card but nobody in their right mind would use wireless to download images unless absolutely forced to - like transferring to a smartphone that does not have an SD slot or OTG option - because it's so very awkward (not to mention very slow compared to any decent form of wired connection).

Her smartphone is a Nokia so it has no OTG, therefore she has to use Wi-Fi. Other than that, it looks like a gimmick. I wanted to try this card once but decided that it's just not worth the hassle when I have no less than two options for transferring files to the smartphone.

At the moment I'm in the process to get a new card reader system from Lexar. It consists of a 4-bay device for USB-3 (HR-1) or Thunderbolt (H-R2). In each bay you can plug in one device (6 different readers, SSD or 2 USB-3 connectors). So, the system is growing and adaptable to your needs. If the software supports it (LR doesn't, Photomechanic, Aperture and Capture One do) you can download the content of 4 different cards parallel. It even supports Micro SSD cards.

The cool thing is, all inserts/modules can be bought separately and do work as standalone readers. The CFast reader already comes with thunderbolt or USB-3.

I would stay clear of any WiFi toys. Usually, the transfer is slow and costs battery-life., Also, while downloading the files, the camera is blocked to take new pictures. Buying a WiFi card costs more - if one part is broken, you can throw away both parts. Settimg it up, can be a PITA as a router is much stronger than a card and occassionally switching off the camera interrupts everything or gets files corrupted. WiFi in the field to control the camera via app - okay, works. Downloading 50 MB+ per file to the remote device (iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android stuff) depends of the memory size of that device.

Quote:I have no experience with the SD-wifi, but why not just get a card reader that reads CF, too? They're cheap, and you's stay flexible and still could use both slots, if required.
I already have a good one and have several good CF cards and several SD cards, but I am looking for the most practical solution, if wifi download is same speed and as practical as card reading then why not ?
Get an Eye-Fi or something similar.