Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations from FF lenses when switching from APSc to FF sensors.
     I had been shooting on the D7100 and had got used to the sharpness levels which I felt were, with the Tamron 150-600mm VC @ 600mm,  just OK...and with the Nikor AF-S 70-300 VR at the long end, well just all out disappointing. (at the time my only FF lenses).

I had expected both these lenses to show some additional shortcomings on the FF sensor of the D750 when it arrived, with dark corners and poor edges and corners in terms of sharpness, so  it was with somewhat puzzled surprise that instead of my worst doubts being confirmed, I found that the situation altogether the other way round!

Vignetting wasn't an issue, but what surprised me the most was how these lenses that were both unimpressive at the long end in terms of resolution on APSc, were now presenting me with sharp sparkling images, needless to say at the price of reach.

Lens reviews:

I suppose that I had got sucked in to the Lenstip presentation (and SLR gear)  that when FF lenses are being tested,  show their graphic resolution results in the center, the edge of the APSc sensor and the edge of the FF sensor.  Normally we see, sharp in the center with a significant drop at the edge of the APSc sensor and the inevitable weaker results at the FF edge and corners (sometimes woeful). From that I assumed only the top echelons lenses could be sharp across the frame.

FF users know better, but for those APSc users, "it looks for all the world" that the best results are going to be obtained on the APSc sensor where we benefit from the cropped out weaker borders and corners, maybe blissfully unaware that the 2.25X less area will pull that sharpness rug from under our feet in the form of the extra required magnification for the same size print!  (that was me!     Tongue )

All this of course requires that the FF lenses that don't fall off the cliff at the extremities!

This thread is brought about by the recent release of the K1 set against a backdrop of the existing range of Pentax lenses as well as legacy glass which have "never seen up until now, the light of day on a Pentax digital full frame sensor".

The forum speculation has been rife as to which lenses are going to be usable both in terms of edge sharpness and vignetting and many had fallen into the same mindset as I had before getting the D750!  However reports are starting to come in complete with wows, ooohs and aahs,  that many of the decent fixed focal lenses are producing very sharp results, similar to what I find with the Nikor AF-D lenses, when stopped down with a little cropping.

............needless to say time will sort the wheat from the chaff!

Please note: Photozones reviews here differ, a dedicated lens test according to sensor size, a better scheme as no confusion arises!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

I just hit CTRL+F.

182 points in your post, compared to 456 words. One day you will come to an equal number of points to words. I've no idea, why you keep this "style", but to me it's close to impossible to read. Do you wanna show how thoughtful your are? Or is there a macro typing points when you stop typing?

I don't want to offend you, but I notice, that I just don't read your posts anymore just becasue of all this "reading-flow traps" you're constructing.

To me it's clearer, I struggle to read large paragraphs, I have difficulty in following the lines!

Your post already IS very long. Try to write shorter sentences and use more paragraphs.

And with all the preliminaries about what you expected from FF and it's lenses, I just miss what your question could be?

You want to buy a Pentax K1 because you'd like to use legacy glass? To be honest, if I would go to use manually focused lenses, I would not want a DSLR. I just bought a Sony Î±6300 and a good adapter. Sure, it has it's downsides, but a DSLR as well with it's indirect focusing technique.

Everything..... is better.... with periods.......

Sure, it's just not that much better as there are much more............ periods. To me, it looks hesitating and............insecure.

Quote: 

182 points in your post, compared to 456 words.
I had to read your post twice before I got it.

At first I thought the OP had made 182 points from only 456 words.

Anyways, was there a question?

All those dots kept pointing me to different lines so I had to stop reading.
i suspect this thread to become a "K1 is good for legacy lenses" thread. I don't want to dip my toes deeper in Pentax swamp. but maybe someone could convince me to see the advantages of "pixel shift"- tech.

At DPReview they made a comparison http://www.dpreview.com/news/5478724395/...comparison

AndI just don't see the "better" results of pixelshift Sad to me, the Canon 5DR and the Nikon D810 still are sharper

Quote:i suspect this thread to become a "K1 is good for legacy lenses" thread. I don't want to dip my toes deeper in Pentax swamp. but maybe someone could convince me to see the advantages of "pixel shift"- tech.

At DPReview they made a comparison http://www.dpreview.com/news/5478724395/...comparison

AndI just don't see the "better" results of pixelshift Sad to me, the Canon 5DR and the Nikon D810 still are sharper
With the 5DR and D810 you see false colour in the too small text, with the pixel shift you do not, just white on black.
You mean the texts underneath the scales?

Sorry, I cannot agree. Sometimes I could a tint of magenta at the 5DR, but not really worse than Pentax. On the other side, the corner patterns of 5DR and a bit less so the D810 are compared to K1 simply excellent. I was looking first at the details of the feathers.

I don't see the reason to blow the RAW file up to 200MB, except for the ISO numbers above 12800 - there Pixel Shift has dramatic effect. But if I need to set up the camera on a tripod I can go down to lower ISO with CaNikon and have the same quality.