Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing repair service !!!
I had one faulty camera plus three faulty lenses:

5D LCD screen was showing false  repeatedly plus dust in mirror chamber.

24-105 f4L had severe flare issues that didn't exist before with white halos around highlights.

EFS17-55f2.8 IS my preferred lens had recently became totally non usable :  severe decentering, with front focus.

Canon 50mm f1.4 there's a spot in the focus at one meter where the focus motor locks 

All three lenses plus camera  repaired  to mint condition:

5D LCD had loose mounting that was fixed.

24-105: cleaning 

EFS 17-55 had a discplaced element that was put back in place and fixed 

Canon 50mmf1.4 had a small problem with a piece in the focus motor, luckily for me the repairs guy had the dysfunctional part from another lens autofocus motor that had failed and did the replacement.

I was expecting a huge bill and lengthy repairs  however I was surprised when the guy called me to tell me I can drop by and pick my camera and lenses, total bill: 40 US$ equivalent. 

Sometimes you have great surprises.

Have you got his phone number?   Big Grin  Rolleyes  :o

Quote:Have you got his phone number?   Big Grin  Rolleyes  :o
Of course 009613895296 sending here for repairs is not an option though because you will have to pay customs, besides he is an ex Canon employee and repairs only Canon gear, although he has  total capacity of doing it, since he has already done it for a friend before, he says sticking to only one brand makes it easier for spare parts supply and gives you much more experience.

Canon Lebanon themselves do a part of the repairs in his workshop like centering defects.

You should imagine the feeling when you get back home and discover all the pictures taken with your preferred lens are not usable.

You send it for repairs, then the next weekend it is fully shining again 
"one faulty camera plus three faulty lenses"

Which brand you said?

:lol: 

Cool to have such a repair guy at hand, treat him well! Because with Nikon, customers regularly have contact with service, we're nearly family. Others call it "issues", I call it customer relationship improvement and all these so called "issues" were only made to know the customers better. I think, we'll have a NewYear's party together soon...

Indeed amazing, a real reason to stick with Canon, with such a service/repair shop nearby! A shame there is no such place near where I live, I could send the badly decentered EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM there without getting repair costs higher than the market value of that old zoom lens.

Quote:Of course 009613895296 sending here for repairs is not an option though because you will have to pay customs, besides he is an ex Canon employee and repairs only Canon gear, although he has  total capacity of doing it, since he has already done it for a friend before, he says sticking to only one brand makes it easier for spare parts supply and gives you much more experience.

Canon Lebanon themselves do a part of the repairs in his workshop like centering defects.

You should imagine the feeling when you get back home and discover all the pictures taken with your preferred lens are not usable.

You send it for repairs, then the next weekend it is fully shining again 
To be frank I have had my share of 

Quote:"one faulty camera plus three faulty lenses"

Which brand you said?

:lol: 

To be frank I have had my share of malfunctions, however I consider this as normal:

300D I had to replace flash mount, memory card reading slot (total less than 40$)

30D I had to replace the shutter button (30$) miror box 300$

5D loose LCD repaired for free 

580 EX broken hotshoe (by 3 year old nephew who dropped it) 25$

50mm f1.4 : focus motor replaced

Canon 75-300 IS no spare parts

plus the recent repairs all this over more than ten years 

When I think of the total amount spent I find it reasonable compared to what I had with Sigma for instance where their 14mmf2.8 cost me 700 $ in repairs over two years and so I had to sell it, or the 24-70f2.8 where the first model disintegrated to 2 separate pieces and was replaced under warranty, their flash that needed repairs three times.

I don't think there's a problem free system, however I would happy if problems are quite rare and their cost/impact acceptable.

I don't expect any gear to be fully finctional for the lifetime