Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang goes... autofocus
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-s...us-lenses/

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
This is indeed great news, especially they are offering the lenses I am considering.

at 50mm f1.4 extremely precise autofocus is a must, let's see how will it be.

an 85mm f1.4 autofocus would be super awesome.

Quote:This is indeed great news, especially they are offering the lenses I am considering.

at 50mm f1.4 extremely precise autofocus is a must, let's see how will it be.

an 85mm f1.4 autofocus would be super awesome.
It is only for Sony FE mount (A7 series).
There have been mumblings of this for a little while.......

...Samyang would do more than well to implement AF on their lenses.......they have a superb range ......and some extraordinary gems amongst them.......

.........the 135mm F2 springs to mind....a super sharp portrait lens, the bokeh is one of the best in the business!

Samyang are capable of cleaning up in the lens market it's just the lack of AF which is holding them back!

Wow ...

Official 

http://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/news...php?SQ=159

Whenever I read Samyang, I associate "decenterred lens" and "badly assembled" or "you get what you pay for".

^_^

But if it comes in fashion to produce high quality glass - always welcome.

I consider myself to be the usual suspect that will get hit by the shit thrown into the fan.

The Samyang centering record isn't terrible in my book - take it or leave it ... ;-)

I wonder if there's a chance that the DSLR users might get the same kind of treatment eventually. Frankly I have very little hope for that, because the E-mount is the only open standard on this market, and unless Samyang does a Sigma and starts reverse-engineering the AF protocols, they won't be able to do anything workable for Canon and Nikon mount.

Still, this announcement shows that they CAN make an AF lens, and they got my respect for choosing to be inventive and not sticking with the stone age gears forever. Better late than never.

Quote:I wonder if there's a chance that the DSLR users might get the same kind of treatment eventually. Frankly I have very little hope for that, because the E-mount is the only open standard on this market, and unless Samyang does a Sigma and starts reverse-engineering the AF protocols, they won't be able to do anything workable for Canon and Nikon mount.

Still, this announcement shows that they CAN make an AF lens, and they got my respect for choosing to be inventive and not sticking with the stone age gears forever. Better late than never.

MFT is also (fairly) open.

I'm slightly wondering how this will work out for Samyang. Design-wise AF lenses tend to be a little different - the AF focus group is usually light-weight and comparatively "loose" in order to allow fast AF speeds. Other than the shift in paradigm, this is more difficult in production (coming back to the centering discussion here).