Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang goes... autofocus
Quote:MFT is also (fairly) open.

I'm slightly wondering how this will work out for Samyang. Design-wise AF lenses tend to be a little different - the AF focus group is usually light-weight and comparatively "loose" in order to allow fast AF speeds. Other than the shift in paradigm, this is more difficult in production (coming back to the centering discussion here).
I'm fairly sure they were doing their homework... the lenses look decently modern on the outside, with none of the kludges that the early AF lenses (and quite a few third party lenses up to recently) were famous for.
  Personally I would be very happy with screw-drive on the Nikon mount, the electronic circuit and the AF gearing would be relatively simple to implement....and inexpensive.

.......however, in these modern times Samyang would be wise to go directly to ultrasonic ring drive à là Tamron.......

I have only one Samayang lens and that's the 8mm fisheye in the Pentax mount.......it's a super little lens, sharp and very resistant to flare...and very well made....(Nikon would do well to implement it's construction BTW)..........as it happens it's also well centered.........

...which is more than I can say for the four decentered  Nikon zooms I have had pass through my hands recently.... ............2 de-centered AF-s 18-105mm....... an AF28-85mmD 3.5/4.5 .....and a AF35-70mmD F2.8......wait..no..five the AF35mmF2D.....

I'm convinced the very stability of the Earth's path is under threat from the shear number of de-centered lenses that are continuously circumnavigating the globe... these land only very briefly on camera's bayonets before retaking to the air having imparting their centrifugal impact on the Earths orbit before the return voyage to Amazon (or the like), where a new voyage is being sponsored by another poor client at his keyboard........and so on....ad infinitum....

They are known as "Shuttle optics " in the trade!

I realize it's a matter of variance, anyway my current experience with Samyang (8mm fisheye APS-C, Nikon mount, and 12mm f/2 Sony mount) is pretty nice (and in any case, I've just read Phillip Reeve's review of a Batis: his copy was fine, but he mentioned another copy which was visibly decentered... :ph34r: ).

PS/OT: technical note: since a few days I'm no more receiving the email notifications about news in this forum and followed threads, such as this. I've checked my anti-spam.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote: 

PS/OT: technical note: since a few days I'm no more receiving the email notifications about news in this forum and followed threads, such as this. I've checked my anti-spam.

Hmmh, yes, the error log suggests that there was something wrong. Seems as if Google changed a port ... odd
Still seeing an error ... hmmmh