Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax FF roadmap
At least something I guess ..

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/pent...kina_2016/

Long time lurker (6 years give or take), finally I got to the point I had to write a post. The Pentax  FF system is geared towards existing users, the APS-C K mount on the other hand is more competitive even today compared to the other DSLR systems, but with the current state of m4/3 and Fujifilm X I would propably bought into them instead. Big Grin

As a legacy system FF K mount is more than adequate, peformance wise, if you are into sports photography you know that only two brands deal with that sector. For new users I think full frame, all brands, is over-hyped. But new users are in short supply for at least 5 years. Big Grin And smartphone users don't usually engage with photography rather it is a means towards being into social media.

To sum it Pentax demise is overrated. My 2 cents. 

The lens roadmaps were presented in February; same for the line-up + DA lens roadmap (which was only updated in June, with the introduction of the 55-300 RE). No news here; the only thing publicly announced at Photokina is the new K-1 firmware.

However... overall it was a good year for Pentax - the first FF DSLR and so on. Can't wait to see what they'll do in 2017 and beyond.

Has their 70-200 been released? If so - then if I had been in a Pentaxist's boat, I would be pretty well set with the three new f/2.8 zooms. Actually when shooting Canon, I'm mostly content with just two lenses, a 16-35 and the stabilized 70-200/2.8 (the latter is sometimes replaced with the Tamron 70-300). Even the longer option is there - the 150-450 (again, no idea if it's already on the shelves or not). Now if I had been using primes, I would've been in a bind... but some areas are covered by Sigma already, and even a few native ones exist.

Let's recap what is missing from a zoom shooter's point of view... maybe they need a slower/longer UWA zoom with front filter threads (similar to the 16-35/4 that all the other major brands have in their arsenal), and a slower/lighter telephoto zoom (a 70-200/4 or 70-300/4-5.6 type). Prime-wise, they just have to start from scratch.

Currently available FF lenses at my country (not Japan Big Grin)

Primes :
PENTAX 35mm F2 SMCP-FA AL 
PENTAX 50mm F1.4 SMC-FA 
PENTAX D FA 50mm F2.8 MACRO 
PENTAX D-FA 100mm F2.8 MACRO WR

(the image circle should be sufficient without teleconverters)
PENTAX DA STAR 200mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
PENTAX DA Star 300mm F4 ED(IF) SDM

The new zoom lenses :
PENTAX FA 24-70MM F2.8ED SDM AW
PENTAX HD D FA 70-200MM F2.8ED DC AW
PENTAX HD D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6DC AW

And some other lenses becoming available soon :
PENTAX HD FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR
PENTAX HD FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR 

If someone has "limited" film lenses it is worth it, otherwise I would wait a bit and think hard if I need FF IBIS DSLR. The "Pixel Shift Resolution" is something worth considering for tripod shooting and still objects, but for now the choices are a bit limited for new users. But the usual lenses are already out. 
15-30 24-70 and 70-200 usually you are well covered sports and action is not for pentax world

Add 2 macro lenses this is enough for a big majority of photographers