Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard disk drives with variable speed
Good day All,

My good old 2Tb hard disk drive is almost full, so I am looking for a new one. I come across these disks which have variable speed, which turn less fast when e.g. visiting Photozone and when speeding up when post processing photographs and writing larges files to your digital archive.

Does anyone have experience with these type of HDD's? Are they suitable for photographers with large files, from 40mb up to 200mb (scanned slides)?

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Reinier

I have about 5 or 6 of those WD green constantly in use and am quite happy with them as backups. I can't use 'em inside of the Mac, it does need a Seagate. I'd recommend as working disk a SSD and as long time storage any of those variable speed HDs.

I don't know anything about variable speed drives.....but I can recommend the Samsung D3 3TB hard drives as a reliable and very economic hard drive...... I have two....the first was €113, the second €118.  I keep at least three copies of all my images and am currently running 14Tbs of hard drive memory, eight of which is external. 

Oh, I need to say: On a Mac it's not always easy with energy management and WD green. Sometimes the OS switches the drives in idle mode, so they need to speed up when in use and other times when switching the machine to sleep, it takes a while until every drive is also sleeping. Don't know if on Windows the energy management is so much better.

Outside of specific use cases, for general bulk storage it pretty much doesn't matter what HD you get. Just remember to have a backup strategy in place for when they fail (not if). With SSD pricing dropping also, might they possibly be within reach also?

Cases where you might think harder about the HD spec is if you need a specific performance level for whatever reason.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Thanks for your replies!

I have a SSD already for some years and a 2Tb internal HDD, the latter one is almost full. I haven't heart of 3Tb SSD's, but if they do exist, then these are way too expensive for me.

I already have a back-up system in place with a removable tray with also a 2Tb HDD. This one needs replacing also, I have been looking for a WD MyBook 3Tb or 4Tb.

Kind regards,

Reinier