Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bunch of Nikkor legacy primes - what to keep (to use with Sony APS-C), what to sell?
From my older Nikon system I still have a bunch of legacy prime lenses: AF-D 24mm f/2.8, AF-S 35mm f/1.8, AF-D 50mm f/1.8 (the latest model I think), AF-D 85mm f/1.8, AF-N 180mm f/2.8.

I already have a Nikon F to Sony E adapter, plus some extension tubes; in a few days I'll have another adapter with tilting capability. The basic idea is to keep a couple of those lenses for use in creative ways, including macro (with the extension tubes) and tilt (with the adapter); and sell the others. At the moment the idea is to keep the 24mm and the 50mm. But I wonder whether this is, IQ-wise (not only sharpness-oriented, but also bokeh-oriented), the best solution. Or whether there are inexpensive legacy primes of other brands that would be better than the items in my current "legacy" collection.

Ideas?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Is the AF-S 35mm F1.8 the DX version?.............the others are very decent lenses given they are from an earlier era, all capable of sharp images on FF sensors, a tiny bit soft sometimes in the extreme corners.......bokeh is another story though and of course there are better lenses now ........I like the AF85 F1.8D nice and sharp.......

........ as you have them already I would try them out first, the results will speak for themselves

I would take another approach, since  I wouldn't put lens sharpness as my first criterion, but the actual photography needs.

And I would say what would this lens give me that I don't have with others ?

let's start:

24mm f2.8, you already have 24mm f4 is this f stop very important ? if yes keep it otherwise it should go unless you have other cosniderations like weight and size.

35mm f1.8: same here but it's 2+ f stop so worth considering.

50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8: those lenses are interesting for portraits, if you don't do portraits you can sell them otherwise they are a must to keep.

180mm f2.8 if you are using full frame and you do portraits, you can keep it although a little long, otherwise you can sell it.

Another question is how much $$$ will selling them get you ? personally I wouldn't sell a lens for 50-100$ unless it is dust collecting and I never use it, so is there any point selling 50mm f1.8 ?
If you're only going to use the lenses on Sony E mount, there seems no point in keeping (most of) them. Sony has some native units in 24mm, 35mm and 50mm (all f/1.8 although the 24mm is not cheap). The 85mm is more tricky as the only options are the expensive Batis and GM lenses; but replacing the 35 and 50 with native lenses seems like a no-brainer.

Anybody know anything about the Sony E 20/2.8 lens? It was never tested here at PZ and I don't remember seeing any reviews on major sites (though I'd be glad to be proven wrong), but if it's any good, you could use it in lieu of the 24/2.8.

EDIT: Kurt Munger has done a review of the 20/2.8 in the past. It's not done in the strict routine like here at PZ (Kurt is like this, and his reviews are/were mostly enjoyable anyway) but pretty informative nevertheless:

http://www.kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_20mm_f_2_8id345.html

Just an outsider question: with autofocus adapters won't Nikon lenses function similar to native sony lenses ? or am I wrong ?

Quote:Just an outsider question: with autofocus adapters won't Nikon lenses function similar to native sony lenses ? or am I wrong ?

It seems they don't: the first available reviews of the Nikon-Sony adapters are revealing lots of problems. This might be something due to the fact that they are new products, but it can be also due to the fact that the Nikon F-mount is more complex to deal with. Sigma, for instance, clearly stated that they won't be making a MC-11 adapter for the Nikon world.

Back to my perspective, if I'm using a fast prime I don't need autofocusing: it means I have plenty of time to play, I have a static subject and thus focus peaking will do.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Another test you can find on http://www.lenscore.org/

but to compare it with another lens, it's really fiddly. But, what can I say? This 20/2.8 is not worth a yawn...  Rolleyes

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1379]
I have the NEX 5 and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses. I tried a number but found that not only was the IQ not as good as what I got with say on a D300, you just look stupid.

Once you put on the F-mount adapter the whole system becomes unbalanced. 

Now I know that looks aren't everything but if I have a choice of looking OK/cool/professional or looking stupid I would much prefer the former.

As a side note, I've found that native CX lenses on the 1 system outperform F-mount lenses on them.

So, in short use Sony lenses on Sony cameras and F-mount lenses on Nikon cameras.

As for selling lenses, if you don't need the cash why not just keep them?

Quote:<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">As for selling lenses, if you don't need the cash why not just keep them?

Lenses are made to be used. It's a pity if they sit down to take the dust (unless you're a collector, but I'm not a collector). So, if I don't use them, I prefer to know that somebody else does.
stoppingdown.net

Quote:From my older Nikon system I still have a bunch of legacy prime lenses: AF-D 24mm f/2.8, AF-S 35mm f/1.8, AF-D 50mm f/1.8 (the latest model I think), AF-D 85mm f/1.8, AF-N 180mm f/2.8.

I already have a Nikon F to Sony E adapter, plus some extension tubes; in a few days I'll have another adapter with tilting capability. The basic idea is to keep a couple of those lenses for use in creative ways, including macro (with the extension tubes) and tilt (with the adapter); and sell the others. At the moment the idea is to keep the 24mm and the 50mm. But I wonder whether this is, IQ-wise (not only sharpness-oriented, but also bokeh-oriented), the best solution. Or whether there are inexpensive legacy primes of other brands that would be better than the items in my current "legacy" collection.

Ideas?
AF 24mm f2.8D, seems like the most likely candidate for that tilting adapter? 

35mm f1.8 DX (I presume, as the FF 35mm f1.8 post-dates your Nikon days), I don't see the value in keeping it. Nothing special about it, the Sony 35mm's are nicer lenses.

AF D 50mm f1.8D, the latest is an AF-S one. Bokeh is not nice, not sure what would be reasons to use it on Sony APS-C?

AF-N 180mm f2.8, what does the N mean? The Nikkor 180mm f2.8 has nice optics with a nice rendering. A bit big and heavy for a tiny mirrorless body though, so try it yourself if it makes you want to use it.