Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried about High Sierra
Apple already reacted on it, there's a security update which patched the bug.

Mike, I know windows user who crash everything they possibly and impossibly can crash. I'm sure there are also some Mac users doing what they should not. Also, spending lots of time on a system - I know that for myself - is not the same thing like knowing how to make that system more failsafe.

I only can say, that wasting hours with transferring preferences is a typical windows shit. I know there are apps or helps for that, but apparently our admin doesn't. Most convenient features of windows were bad copies of Mac features. There are things windows might do better or safer, but usability is none of them. It's not about religion, there's no Messias Steve around any more, which is a pity because he could come up with fresh ideas instead of constantly chewing on iPhones, iPads and iMacs.

Windows surface is an interesting concept, and - ouch - as expensive as an iMac. How come? Mac used to be the totally overpriced stuff and now you see a surface all-in-one-PC for around 4000$? Really? As real innovations are no longer coming out of thin air, Apple approaches more and more to a normal computer brand. Abandoned the graphic and sound professionals and selling cellphones. Could be worse...

Didn't know we had here Apple religion followers, here

https://betanews.com/2015/08/12/ireligio...to-a-cult/
I am not a religion follower in any thinkable way Wink But a happy user, for sure. The issue is, that any positive or negative experience report from any side is easily perceived as preaching and evangelizing. That's not my intention. Still, I have spent a lot of my life time typing on keyboards and staring at screens connected to computers running all kinds of systems (CP/M, DOS, Windows, OS/2, BSD, Linux, Irix, HP-UX, Solaris, Novell Netware, macOS,...) and made decisions for myself based on all these experiences for good reasons. Just as anyone else. It's a personal decision that everyone needs to make and I see no religion in sharing the reasons behind it. The issue that arises quite often is that people consider their own personal decisions as "right or wrong" kind of decisions and expect everyone else to have the same priorities.

My experience with both sides is similar to JoJu's. When using windows, I spent a considerable amount of time on upgrading all kinds of things, both software and hardware. In fact, I spent at least the same amount of time on keeping my system up to date, so working on it than actually working with it.

For me, the Mac, as they said in ads back then, "just works". I don't worry about upgrades much anymore and can focus on work that needs to be done. And the level of support from Apple is unmatched when it comes to keeping things alive for quite a while. True, my 2008 Mac Pro is officially no longer supported (it takes an external patch to make it run High Sierra), but even given its regular life cycle, which ended just last year with the introduction of Sierra, that's an enormous time frame.
We had to abandon much younger workstations at the office, that were sold with (and still running) Windows 7, because there was no upgrade path to Windows 10 on these machines (not cheap no-name machines, it was HP ThinkStations, so similarly expensive stuff).

For me, there are so many things on the Mac (or the iPhone) that reliably work, but are a major headache on Windows (or Android). A simple but reliable backup and restore is just one of them, but to me of such importance that I never want to miss it again.

Talking about security: there are barely any current threats, but there are some. For a typical private user, those threats are nothing to worry about, IMO, if you keep your system up to date (which it usually does by itself). I don't run any security software other than what comes with the OS and "Little Snitch" on top since I have a Mac (so for for a little more than a decade now). If you're paranoid, trough, (and if you're admin of a large company network, you're obliged to be), there is no way around security software, because a single instance of the smalles malware slipping through causes loads of work and costs huge amounts of money.
Editor
opticallimits.com

It has been abundantly clear that you are a Windows religion follower, Toni-a. Not a surprise that you would post a link from your religion. Sad.

Quote:I am not a religion follower in any thinkable way Wink But a happy user, for sure. The issue is, that any positive or negative experience report from any side is easily perceived as preaching and evangelizing. That's not my intention. Still, I have spent a lot of my life time typing on keyboards and staring at screens connected to computers running all kinds of systems (CP/M, DOS, Windows, OS/2, BSD, Linux, Irix, HP-UX, Solaris, Novell Netware, macOS,...) and made decisions for myself based on all these experiences for good reasons. Just as anyone else. It's a personal decision that everyone needs to make and I see no religion in sharing the reasons behind it. The issue that arises quite often is that people consider their own personal decisions as "right or wrong" kind of decisions and expect everyone else to have the same priorities.

Me too. When I started in 1983 (I was thirteen) it was CP/M, followed by DOS and Windows (I'm not counting the Commodore saga, as they were for personal use). I've used all the Windows editions since 1.0. I still put my hands on Windows computers, both at my customers' and with virtual machines (as well as Linux, including physical machines). I've moved to Mac in 2005/2006, and sure today I'm more skilled in MacOS that other systems because of everyday use, but I still can use others. MacOS "just works" more than others.

At the same time, anyway, I must say QA at Apple is constantly degrading with time. Once upon a time, a ridiculous bug such as the one we're discussing about would have never happened; as well as for several years the equivalent of blue screen of death was never seen on my laptop; now it sometimes happens (*). My previous MBP was a disaster, with a physical problem on the internal hardware that was fixed twice (in warranty) and at the third occurrence, I gave up.

(*) Indeed, I think that the problem is with a USB hub that, if plugged when the battery goes down and the system freezes, causes any kind of harm. The same hub is not defective, as it works well e.g. with a Linux laptop. It's probably an integration issue.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I simply don't react anymore on this predictable windows-user "jokes" - it's enough that I already know and see in daily use the differences between the two worlds. Most "windows in the office and at home" don't have a clue how easy it could be and how much more productive you can be on a Mac. Additionally, how long this investment keeps a value and adds more to it by just not nursing  system, apps and drivers... Every hour I don't spend fixing problems of a PC is a win for me.

Reason, I am keeping Windows Phone is it's working

I have Windows Phone since 2013, Lumia 620 then 640XL, from hardware side it's the cheapest and by far, with a battery life better than anything else, allowing me to recharge every other day.

I never carry a charger or power bank, offline maps is a major plus.

I bought my first car in 1994 it was a Toyota tercel, in 2000 I wanted the new echo, my father asked me: How many times did it run in troubles, the answer was never, he told me what are the chances to have another car that would run six years without ever needing fixing. I decided to keep it but to replace it after first failure, it never happened, even after leaving Lebanon from 2007 till 2010 came back and it needed only very few expected maintenance service.

That's why it's still with me.

Would you throw away a phone that never let you down never crashed in 2 years and that has everything you need ??

First time it needs repairs (which doesn't seem nearby) i will replace and not repair it

A side note, discovered Lately it was doing swap files on sd cards leading to their early failure , moved apps to phone memory.