Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless Canon DPP compatibility issues
After getting 750D I just discovered I need to gave two versions of DPP running to be able to use both cameras

DPP 4 Won't open 5D files

DPP 3 won't open 750D files

What's the point???
Deleted
The point is that DPP4 started a new code base (not a further development of DPP3 but an entirely new version), and they decided to slowly add the more current cameras to the cameras supported by DPP4.

Differences in CFA, noise profiles, features in RAW, lens profiles for DLO and other corrections, it all needs testing, development per model. So, with the new version they do not support years and years old cameras and operating system versions. They started out with supporting just a few current full frame models, and by now have expanded the supported cameras to a bunch of APS-C DSLRS, theentire M line up, the advanced serious compact line up.

They made sure that one can install DPP3 and DPP4 next to eachother on the same computer, even. Seeing that DPP is new a source of revenue, and the advances they made in DPP4, personally I think they do a pretty good job. They have made choices on the size of the software development teams.

So I can't process old 350D and 450D files in DPP4. DPP3 still does its job.

What you are saying 

Quote:The point is that DPP4 started a new code base (not a further development of DPP3 but an entirely new version), and they decided to slowly add the more current cameras to the cameras supported by DPP4.

Differences in CFA, noise profiles, features in RAW, lens profiles for DLO and other corrections, it all needs testing, development per model. So, with the new version they do not support years and years old cameras and operating system versions. They started out with supporting just a few current full frame models, and by now have expanded the supported cameras to a bunch of APS-C DSLRS, theentire M line up, the advanced serious compact line up.

They made sure that one can install DPP3 and DPP4 next to eachother on the same computer, even. Seeing that DPP is new a source of revenue, and the advances they made in DPP4, personally I think they do a pretty good job. They have made choices on the size of the software development teams.

So I can't process old 350D and 450D files in DPP4. DPP3 still does its job.
Well what you are saying is true but what I am afraid of, is that Canon will no longer update DPP3, so users of cameras like 5D won't be able to benefit from updates, ok it is legal but not all that is legal is a nice thing.

After apple and microsocft update their operating system, I doubt Canon will make a new updated version of DPP3, so what will those users do ?

Of course DPP4 is a great software but I feel this is the general trend everywhere, they want you to get their newest product, they discontinue support to old ones 

It is true that when DPP3 will not work anymore on new, incompatible with the old, OS-es, one can't use DPP to convert those old files anymore. Then one has to use a DCRAW based RAW conversion. The choice is, do you want an advanced RAW conversion with new features (what Canon chooses in regards to DPP, with its advanced DLO, picture styles and colour model) or keep on being based on the lowest denominator (be able to convert all RAWs without the new features).

Or of course, have a big development team to do both at the same time.

Canon chose the 1st, and I understand that choice, even though in some ways it is not ideal. Just how it is, though.

DPP 3 is still being supported: DPP 3.15.0 now offers DLO support for the EF 35mm f1.4 L USM II, EF 50mm f1.8 STM and EF-m 15-45mm f3.5-6.3 IS STM.

DPP 4.3.31 now supports even more cameras:
  • EOS-1D X

• EOS-1D C

• EOS-1D Mark IV

• EOS-1D Mark III
  • EOS-1Ds Mark III
  • EOS 5DS

• EOS 5DS R

• EOS 5D Mark III

• EOS 5D Mark II

• EOS 6D

• EOS 7D Mark II