Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR
Quote:In-body IS is the future, in-lens IS is the past except maybe for extremely long tele lenses.

I remember the days not long ago when everybody was joking about the measly 2 f-stop efficiency of in-body IS. Today the outdated 3 f-stop gain of the Canon 17-55mm IS is the joke really. The spread between in-body IS and in-lens IS will continue to rise simply because it's so much easier to move the sensor in multiple dimensions.

Sure, Fuji has no IBIS but it's inevitable that they'll include it soon. Till then I prefer not to have that useless IS group in the lens that does not contribute to the optical performance at all.
Well, no argument from me about the merits of IBIS - I loved it on my old Minolta 7D - but I can't see most of the manufacturers (Canon and Nikon most importantly) switching to it any time soon. Remember it must be a patented invention so Fuji (and whoever else) can't probably just copy it from Sony/Olympus and slap it into their cameras. I wish they would, however.

3 stops of assistance is alright by me, though. Not long ago it was "as good as it gets". Smile Still very helpful if you ask me. My Canon 70-200 is rated like that (though the IS in the 16-35/4 is probably better?)

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR - by davidmanze - 02-08-2016, 04:02 PM
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR - by Rover - 02-09-2016, 07:16 AM
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR - by davidmanze - 02-09-2016, 07:16 AM