Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ultrawide full frame lens for canon
Quote:Just tried tokina 16-28 f2.8 and it seemed more like a prime with its very limited zoom range, it's bulky and heavy, with a protruding front element.....
Tony, keep in mind that Toking is hard to beat price/performance wise. You can get it used for about $450. Read the review here and at lens rentals.
One thing is annoying me about the tokina is that Markus has had a hard time finding a good sample, he has had several bad ones.

So I am afraid of having a lemon.

On the other hand, we have very good repairs here at very good prices. Recentering a lens costs something like 50$
I am getting my tokina 16-28 from US, my friend is coming to Lebanon on 1 st of february so I still have something like on week to change my mind, for a moment I thought of getting Canon EFs 10-18 since I usually use two bodies, however I think APS-C 17-55f2.8 plus Full frame 16-28 f2.8 is better than APS-C 10-18 plus full frame 24-105f4

An interesting choice you made there. The 17-55 is an excellent lens, probably better than the 24-105.

Get a used Canon 17-40/4L

Wonder if the old Sigma 17-35 was any good? It just dropped off the radar completely without any successors and without any conclusive tests (that I would know of, anyway).

Quote:Wonder if the old Sigma 17-35 was any good? It just dropped off the radar completely without any successors and without any conclusive tests (that I would know of, anyway).
It was ok-ish, like the Tamron 17-35mm. Not upto modern UAW zoom standards, though.
Finally tokina 16-28 available in Lebanon, however it is 100$ more expenive than US however at least I can test the sample 

Hi Tony-a,

just to let you know, with the Samyang 14mm at F8 or higher, there is a hyperfocal distance where everything between 1,20m and infinity is in Focus.

So as long as you're not shooting closeups, you won't miss your autofocus.

Also, the Samyang 14 is a beast in Terms of sharpness, the Canon 16-35 f4 probably won't be able to compete.

But then, the Canon is much more versatile, it is a steal for an L lens, it has a filter thread and it has less distortion to be corrected.

I fancy the Canon too, and to be honest, I think that in the end i'll end up with both

Folks it's hard to believe but true, today I received a gift box from my wife and when I unwrapped it, I found something hard to believe Tokina 16-28f2.8

I am ecstatic

She got the lens I was always talking about...