Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally ... the new Leica DG 100-400mm f/4-6.3 OIS
The consistency is all evaluated at a single focusing distance, so the trueness of the focusing cam more or less doesn't play into things.  The voigtlanders are also f/0.95 which gives an advantage to panasonic.

The long end seems awful slow. I realize it can' t be much faster (size issue) but with the 4/3 sensor I would think that resolution will be somewhat limited.

Have you seen any specs regarding the IS in single or dual IS setup ?

I can't spot any efficiency numbers (f-stops).

The price could be 500 euros cheaper. At close to 2k euro price atm, it's very steep. 

I have seen some tests and real world shots with this lens now, and it actually is amazing.

I reckon I will get one, eventually, especially now I have sold my Canon 100-400L. It was just too heavy to carry around most of the time.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Lenstip has tested it and they're not impressed:

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=ob...est_ob=476

That is a shame...

I doubt that Lenstip is representative here.

Either they have a very bad sample or struggled with the long focal lengths.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/panas...erformance

Ah! I forgot about the EPZ review. It seems oddly contradictory to the Lenstip one - could be a botched metodology on someone's part, or really a poor quality (decentered!!!)
sample at Lenstip.

The (lens tip) photo examples do show a bit weak performance for the longer focal lengths, sharpness wise. The ephotozine samples are useless (that happens often there?). The 400mm duck image shows at least an inadequacy of the OIS? And the life buoy station image the effects of diffraction (f22... really?).