Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon D5 "official" specs leaked
http://www.cameraegg.org/nikon-d5-full-specs/

• Two type of D5 (XQD-Type) and D5 (CF-Type)
  • Newly developed 20.82 million pixel CMOS sensor
  • EXPEED 5 Image processor. 4K videos correspondence
  • 153 AF points. 99-point cross sensor. F8 corresponding 15 points
  • Continuous shooting (continuous shooting up to 200 frames in 14bit lossless compression RAW) 12 frames / sec in the AF / AE tracking
  • Continuous shooting speed at the time of the mirror up to 14 frames / sec (AE / AF fixed)
  • Regular sensitivity highest ISO 102400. Extended sensitivity is highest in Hi5 ISO 3280000
  • 3.2-inch 2.36 million dot LCD monitor. Touch panel
  • Card slot D5 (XQD-Type) is double XQD. D5 (CF-Type) Double CF
  • Shutter speed 30 seconds to 1/8000 sec
  • Finder field of view 100% (FX). Magnification 0.72 times
  • SuperSpeed USB (USB3.0 Micro-B terminal)
  • Battery EN-EL18a
  • The weight is the battery and the media included, D5 (XQD-Type) is 1405g. D5 (CF-Type) is 1415g
  • Released Date in March 2016
In 2016 is there a sensible reason why top-end cameras are still limited to 30 seconds?

I want to be able to dial in say 10 minutes, go for a coffee/walk whatever and come back whenever.

I like the 20MP, however. Good compromise between low-light and enough pixels.
Quote:In 2016 is there a sensible reason why top-end cameras are still limited to 30 seconds?

Just a user interface reason(else you keep on turning that dial, where do you draw the line?), I guess (and the extra sale of remotes). Luckily there are many cheap and expensive gadgets available to regulate "bulb" exposure time.
 So  it looks like it's maybe 12 frame per sec. is hitting the practical ceiling for mirror and shutter activations together  (more ammo for mirror-less supporters?)........ the shutter just being able to shoot a couple of frames faster.....

A shame in my view that the sensor isn't 24 Mps as it means the D750 will produce more detailed images for a fraction of the price,  Nikon wants you buy the D750/D810 as a backup.....

...Great no nonsense buffer and bags of AF points and touchscreen and 4K.....

....Do pros ask Nikon for longer exposures than 30 secs? ......time's money..   Rolleyes  

All in all I can't see an awful lot of attraction over the D4S...........it would be a darn sight more economic to keep the D4S and buy  another cheaper camera for 4K!

Quote:Just a user interface reason(else you keep on turning that dial, where do you draw the line?), I guess (and the extra sale of remotes). Luckily there are many cheap and expensive gadgets available to regulate "bulb" exposure time.

Remotes are great for many reasons and I like to use them. But for long exposures, I see no reason why we are not offered something like how the Time-Lapse function works. That is, you are given a menu where you adjust the number of shots, length of timelapse and interval between each shot.

There should be no need to turn the dial to say 60 minutes. You just enter the value in. And now that the D5 is a touch-screen it should be even easier to offer this feature.

BTW, which "cheap" gadget can regulate Bulb exposure time? At the moment I have to rely on the clock on my phone to work out when I need to stop the exposure. (Yes, I'm sure there is a Windows Clock-Timer app for my phone but I don't like to buy any Windows apps.)
Quote:Remotes are great for many reasons and I like to use them. But for long exposures, I see no reason why we are not offered something like how the Time-Lapse function works. That is, you are given a menu where you adjust the number of shots, length of timelapse and interval between each shot.

There should be no need to turn the dial to say 60 minutes. You just enter the value in. And now that the D5 is a touch-screen it should be even easier to offer this feature.

BTW, which "cheap" gadget can regulate Bulb exposure time? At the moment I have to rely on the clock on my phone to work out when I need to stop the exposure. (Yes, I'm sure there is a Windows Clock-Timer app for my phone but I don't like to buy any Windows apps.)
Using a Canon camera, I am not totally well versed on the gadgets available for Nikon DSLRs, but I am sure the situation is not very different.

The one Canon wants to sell me is the TC-80N3 for my 6D. 

Free, for my camera, is the bulb timer function in the magic lantern firmware extension

Cheap gadget for my camera:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intervalometer-T...xyNwNSIBDn

The one Nikon wants to sell you is the MC-36A.

Comparable cheap gadgets for Nikons:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Timer-Remote...Swu4BVzAeV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N3-Wireless-Time...SwPhdVGROL

Quote: So  it looks like it's maybe 12 frame per sec. is hitting the practical ceiling for mirror and shutter activations together  (more ammo for mirror-less supporters?)........ the shutter just being able to shoot a couple of frames faster.....

A shame in my view that the sensor isn't 24 Mps as it means the D750 will produce more detailed images for a fraction of the price,  Nikon wants you buy the D750/D810 as a backup.....

...Great no nonsense buffer and bags of AF points and touchscreen and 4K.....

....Do pros ask Nikon for longer exposures than 30 secs? ......time's money..   Rolleyes  

All in all I can't see an awful lot of attraction over the D4S...........it would be a darn sight more economic to keep the D4S and buy  another cheaper camera for 4K!
There is a practical ceiling to FPS with AF with mirrorless cameras too.... The only one who succeeded bettering the supposed D5 and the 1D-X is the Samsung NX1 (which has been discontinued  :wacko: ).

The difference between 24 and 20.8 mp is really quite marginal. The difference between the D4's 16mp and this 20.8mp is larger, resolution wise.

The improved AF (taking the claim for improved AF on face value) should be worth the upgrade for many pros, it may bring it to or past 1D-X level.
Wow, that is cheap. Thanks.

I have always been annoyed at just how expensive the MC-36A is.

However, I twice bought cheap 3rd party remote releases but they stopped working whenever it got around or below 0 degrees.

As you no doubt know, even the cheap remotes have a shutter open lock but these two that I got didn't even fire the release in the cold. I now have an original MC-30 (60€ plus) but it doesn't have the advanced features of the MC-36A, which as I said is ridiculously priced.

Nikon is unfortunately behind Canon when it comes to magic lantern.

Quote:1/  There is a practical ceiling to FPS with AF with mirrorless cameras too.... The only one who succeeded bettering the supposed D5 and the 1D-X is the Samsung NX1 (which has been discontinued   :wacko: ).

2/  The difference between 24 and 20.8 mp is really quite marginal. The difference between the D4's 16mp and this 20.8mp is larger, resolution wise.

3/ The improved AF (taking the claim for improved AF on face value) should be worth the upgrade for many pros, it may bring it to or past 1D-X level.

1/ It was beaten! and by a camera at $1500, now there are even cheaper!   Huh Tongue  :o  

2/ It's just that the most expensive Nikon has approx. 4/5ths the resolution than the most basic model.......... just saying... if I was thinking about the camera,  it's  resolution would put me off a little. But I do know all the arguments!

3/ Sure better AF, to many pros?.....Hmmm..........to some ......certainly.....but at a price!  Ideal for a pro who has a worn out D4S..... B)

1/ Samsung galaxy NX Kit with 18-200 lens at 525,- CHF, yesterday, the body was like 135.-. I still wait until they pay me a salary to buy it  B)

2/ well, resolution is not everything and that lacking 1/5th... is lacking

3/ Nikon is lucky because the Pro's using D4 or others are highly traditional, conservative, ultra-orthodox or just plain stubborn. If we don't see a mirrorless Nikon this year, I will start to worry about their future if there's really nothing better to do  Tongue

It would be interesting, how the new Fuji X-Pro2 with 24 MP compares in terms of AF-accuracy. Of course, that was a joke. The D5 doesn't offer 1/32.000 shutter speed  Rolleyes

I understand Nikon had to bring out something, but if I had the money for it, I'd carry it much more likely to a Leica dealer. Against the D5, a SL looks nearly like a p&s