•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5DMKIII versus 7DMKII
Good luck with your choice and all the best!

Quote:Indeed, it would be interesting to study why you so happily ignore what Foto Magazin has found, and why you pretend the AF accuracy with mirrorless is faultless.

Your view on things certainly seems to be coloured by your apparently bad experiences with past Pentax DSLRs and problematic D800.

Very simple: PDAF can be as accurate as CDAF with specific prime lenses perfectly calibrated at a specific distance. Zooms are a different matter. However, not repeatedly and especially not consistently with several lenses across different distances and light sources.

From a technical point of view, CDAF is bound to be more consistently accurate. That's simply physics.

Now, you managed to found 1 single test where PDAF leads to a very slightly better accuracy over CDAF. Great. However, it doesn't change the fact that there are tons of reports from photographers stating the exact opposite.

BTW, I never said that mirrorless was perfect, nothing is. It's just more consistently reliable at focusing accurately.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
And you simply still ignore the well executed Foto Magazin tests which prove differently (depending on camera). And it is total nonsense to say "it is simply physics". It has nothing to do with physics.

And I know there are "tons" of photographers like you stating what you state, it does not make it correct as blanket statement though. That it is the case for Pentax DSLRs and the ill fated D800, yes.

Quote:And you simply still ignore the well executed Foto Magazin tests which prove differently (depending on camera). And it is total nonsense to say "it is simply physics". It has nothing to do with physics.

And I know there are "tons" of photographers like you stating what you state, it does not make it correct as blanket statement though. That it is the case for Pentax DSLRs and the ill fated D800, yes.

I told you exactly what I thought about your Foto Magazin tests.

PDAF in DSLRs vs CDAF in mirrorless has everything to do with mechanics.

And you simply still ignore the well executed Autofocus Reality Part 1: Center-Point, Single-Shot Accuracy test by Roger Cicala. 
--Florent

Flickr gallery
 As said I accept PD/CD on sensor AF is more accurate, I see little point in struggling to argue otherwise, but I think we should keep a sense of proportion. However my Pentax K01 proved that even CD AF can get it wrong because it had to be returned for not being able to focus to infinity, so it's not infallible per se.

I was surprised that JoJu was complaining about AF accuracy with his D750 until he mentioned 12,800 ISO F1.4 and 1/40 sec. I'm not sure how dark that is, but it sounds pretty dim light to say the least!............... I'm not sure how the Fuji would cope in the same situation.

........... Could it focus comfortably in that light  thxbb12?

Anyway there are now some Christmas decorations up around the town so I have decided to take some night shots this evening probably with the AF24/35D and my 40€ nifty fifty on a tripod..........

We will see!........... Normally I will post some shots later tonight........................... unfortunately posting is restricted to piddle-pot sized files here............. on Dpreview's site you can post far bigger files and many more images. 

Quote: As said I accept PD/CD on sensor AF is more accurate, I see little point in struggling to argue otherwise, but I think we should keep a sense of proportion. However my Pentax K01 proved that even CD AF can get it wrong because it had to be returned for not being able to focus to infinity, so it's not infallible per se.

I was surprised that JoJu was complaining about AF accuracy with his D750 until he mentioned 12,800 ISO F1.4 and 1/40 sec. I'm not sure how dark that is, but it sounds pretty dim light to say the least!............... I'm not sure how the Fuji would cope in the same situation.

........... Could it focus comfortably in that light  thxbb12?

Anyway there are now some Christmas decorations up around the town so I have decided to take some night shots this evening probably with the AF24/35D and my 40€ nifty fifty on a tripod..........

We will see!........... Normally I will post some shots later tonight........................... unfortunately posting is restricted to piddle-pot sized files here............. on Dpreview's site you can post far bigger files and many more images. 

Hi Dave, my comment was for Brightcolours, not you :-)

In a very very dark environment, CDAF will also struggle to focus accurately. At such high ISO values, sensor noise is extremely high, so it's very difficult from an image point of view to confidently assess where the maximum gradient is.

Quick answer: probably not.

Let us know how it goes with your setup though.

I'm done with this thread. Sorry for posting so much here and side tracking the original thread. It's not the first time it happens with BC. As goran h rightfully said "Don´t discuss with BC, he is right even when he is wrong and will always have the last word. ". I think I'll follow his advice :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone at PZ!

--Florent

Flickr gallery
 Hey thxbb12 there was no hijacking, it made for a good thread and the OP seemed happy!

Just for the record I went out and took a few photos in the town, but man there was barely a soul around, and it's super mild at the moment, the warmest winter I've ever known, the other day when I was down the river shooting it was 21° it's late December??

Anyway I got a shot appropriate for wishing you all seasonal greetings and goodwill to all men.

PS. One day there will be soft full spectrum LED street lighting to replace the awful sodium lamps that plague night shots........... bring back the old street gas lamps that looked so characterful..........if any of you guys remember them?

Quote:I told you exactly what I thought about your Foto Magazin tests.

PDAF in DSLRs vs CDAF in mirrorless has everything to do with mechanics.

And you simply still ignore the well executed Autofocus Reality Part 1: Center-Point, Single-Shot Accuracy test by Roger Cicala. 
Part one was with the 5D MK II. You do cherry pick your stuff.

Foto Magazin's test shows the reality of things.
And you, BC, are still believing in Father Christmas  :lol: Foto Magazin as a reference? Just count the adverts, then you know who pays those "reality articles". Poor guy, it will come as a disappointment for you once Canon will release a mirrorless, how fast Foto Magazin makes a 180° turn and qualifies mirrorless as THE BIG THING in terms of accuracy, speed, color accuracy and curing all kind of sicknesses. Unfortunately, stubbornness is something even a Canon mirrorless can't cure.

If someone tells you about a real life test between DSLR AF and mirrorless AF you come running with Foto Magazin which needs bare female breasts to sell. Have fun singing their chords. I know it's pointless to tell you, you're living in your own world with solid filters and blockers.

You like writing nonsense? It is total nonsense to claim that Foto Magazin would post nonsense tests paid by Canon. Get real. Foto Magazin is a quite respectable publication, and if you would know anything about them, you would not write the crap you just did. You just love to write anything to discredit me anyway.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next