Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backup with too many duplicates, how to solve ?
I know that you're not bitching  Smile Just because there's so much of a difference and also learning curve, if one goes from file system/Windows to a database, which is mostly creating links.

But of course, with JPGs it's a different story in terms of diskspace.

I just like to describe the way Aperture, LR or C1 sort of "work", some better, some worse. In Aperture, I don't need to think about folder/file names, that's completely Aperture's job (which also detects dunplicates if I try to import files twice - I can, but I get a warning message).

At the import, I can choose to create a new folder (within the database, not directly connected to the internal structure of the library), new project, new album. Project could be "Kiev 2017-10", within the project albums like "parks", "nightlife", "architecture", "churches". That's a normal album and you see, some pictures would fit in more than 1 category. Or get more than one keyword. Like a church in a park at night-time with an interesting architecture.

The link to such pictures would be point to the same source, but appear in all three albums.

If I work only with keywords (I don't, I suck in discipline), I could create smart albums like "Keyword contains "church", AND "architecture" AND "nightlife"....) These smart albums are updated constantly at the moment the chosen criteria apply to a new picture.

Smart albums find pictures like

"Camera Name = D810 AND serial number contains 2365 AND focal length between 10 and 15 mm AND aperture between f/1.4 and f/5.6 AND shooting distance between 0.5 and 2 m AND face belongs to "Rover" or "JoJu"". Aperture uses all EXIF info, including Nikon's special EXIFs like metering mode or picture control setting. And all that without any effort of me - just because the files contain the necessary data or the faces are tagged with face detection.

That's smart albums - there are also smart slideshows, lighttables or books which I don't use often, contrary to the albums.

Of the files in Aperture I can lookup how much pictures I made with a certain lens. This year or last decade or the last 90 days. Or in a certain geotagged location. So one part of teh library is a tightly fixed structure administrated by Aperture and I only touch it, if something is broken (but Aperture also has a three step trouble shooting routine which ususally speeds up the 1.4 TB library)

Do that with a file based system - you need some kind of metadata catalogue and move one folder accidentally, you need to fix the structure. And to find all animal portraits you did between 2013 and 2015 - wll I guess you need to scroll through the folders?

At the beginning I had troubles to understand the concept. That was 12 years ago. Today I miss these well-thought concept every day I start up Capture One.

Messages In This Thread
backup with too many duplicates, how to solve ? - by Guest - 11-04-2017, 10:51 AM
backup with too many duplicates, how to solve ? - by JJ_SO - 11-07-2017, 11:05 AM