Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
photo printing statistics in Switzerland
I'm wondering if that roughly matches camera market share? We also have to consider active owners rather than just recent units sold. While mirrorless is slowly climbing in share, you still have a massive legacy of DSLRs out there. I wonder if anyone has tried to quantify that? 

So of the camera makers, you would expect Canon to lead Nikon, with everyone else fighting for what's left over. Smartphones change the balance of course, and I'd imagine most of the Samsung prints will be from their phones as opposed to their cameras. Actually, we can work that out given they split the mobile share separately. From the two way split for Apple and Samsung overall Samsung is 42% that of Apple. For the mobile split Samsung is 37% of Apple. So roughly 5% of Samsung prints are from their cameras as opposed to phones.

We can do a similar calculation for Sony, and there I get that 76% of their overall contribution is from cameras, and 24% from phones. I'm surprised the phone proportion is as high as that but maybe more people bought their mobiles than I thought.

To split the overall chart slightly:

Canon 25%

Apple 19%

Nikon 19%

Sony camera 11.4%

Sony phone 3.6%

Panasonic 9%

Samsung phone 7.6%

Samsung camera 0.4%

Hmm... by my calculations I make mobile share 32%, not the 31% they show. This would likely be due to rounding errors since I don't have the raw numbers to play with. My assumption is that Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji are camera only. Sony and Samsung will have share with mobile. Apple, HTC, Nokia are phone only.

Still, I can only work with what I have. The estimated share for cameras only (no smartphones) would be:

Canon 37%

Nikon 28%

Sony 17%

Panasonic 13%

Olympus 3%

Samsung 1%
Fuji 1%

If I think mFT only, I'm surprised Panasonic would be so far ahead of Olympus, unless there is something else at work here. Like compact cameras? I feel Panasonic compacts are more numerous and widely available than Olympus. In a search I found some Panasonic smartphones but I have never seen any for sale in the UK. Are they found elsewhere?

(Edited to correct typo in share proportions)

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Messages In This Thread
photo printing statistics in Switzerland - by Guest - 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM
photo printing statistics in Switzerland - by popo - 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM
photo printing statistics in Switzerland - by Guest - 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM