Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead 17-85 IS again ...
Hello

My second Canon 17-85 IS lens is dead for the exact same reason as the first one:

The diaphragm does not work anymore and I get an Error 01.

Is that a usually breakdown for that particular lens?

Price to repair is about 220 euros but I can get a new lens for 320 euros.

Canon service is rubbish locally so I will not even try to get it repaired in France.

It will just come back after 6 months in the exact same state.

What would you do in that case ?

Try to get it repaired on another country or planet?

Choose another lens? In that case which option would you recommend me?

Tamron 17-50 F2.8 - 269 euros - I am a bit afraid of the Quality Control of Tamron

Canon 17-85 IS - 319 euros - I like the range

Canon 17-55 IS F2.8 - 859 euros - I think it is out of budget for me even if I think it is the best.

Canon 18-55 IS - 99 euros - So cheap and apparently a good optic.

Any other options?

Best regards,

Emmanuel
Apparently this is an usual defect of that lens.

I have found that video showing how to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyPf57YTdUU

So this is probably a 10 cts part causing the defect.

The optical block has to be dismounted.

Is it likely that after such repair operation the lens will become decentered ?
Hi Emmanuel,

Another option may be the 15-85 IS. Somewhere inbetween 17-85 IS and 17-55 F/2.8 IS in price.

There also is the 18-135 IS which is quite good too, apparently.

And if you don't want to spend a lot of money, the 18-55 IS is indeed a good option.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
The Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM is very close to the 17-55mm IS USM in optical performance, but is lighter, more compact and cheaper. Just about everyone who has tried that lens is rather enthusiastic.

I am not a big fan of the 17-85mm, to me the 85mm at f5.6 does not make too much sense (nice portrait focal length without the larger aperture for subject isolation) and the wide angle performance is rather low (CA wise, distortion wise, and the lens is not the most contrasty).

The 15-85mm still has that aperture disadvantage at the portrait range, but is better contrast wise and CA wise.

The cheap and cheerful 18-55mm IS is not the best either... at times people get very nice results with it, but it also can be lacking in contrast and making for very "muddy" foliage in landscape shots.
If Sigma lenses are an alternative, the 17-70/2.8-4 OS HSM might be an option, too.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1335771363' post='17871']

The Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM is very close to the 17-55mm IS USM in optical performance, but is lighter, more compact and cheaper. Just about everyone who has tried that lens is rather enthusiastic.

I am not a big fan of the 17-85mm, to me the 85mm at f5.6 does not make too much sense (nice portrait focal length without the larger aperture for subject isolation) and the wide angle performance is rather low (CA wise, distortion wise, and the lens is not the most contrasty).

The 15-85mm still has that aperture disadvantage at the portrait range, but is better contrast wise and CA wise.

The cheap and cheerful 18-55mm IS is not the best either... at times people get very nice results with it, but it also can be lacking in contrast and making for very "muddy" foliage in landscape shots.

[/quote]

Since the day I had the 55-250 IS I tend to be more carrefull with that contrast aspect.

I think this is an issue that is not addressed in PZ reviews (probably a hard thing to quantify).

The 55-250 IS had a great review on PZ but actually in the real world it is not a very nice lense because of its lack of contrast.

And I suspected that the 18-55 IS is just in the same league. Great in terms of resolution but disapointing in real world in terms of contrast.

17-85 was not too bad in that aspect in my opinion.

Currently there is a canon cash back program.

It offers 70 euros for the 17-55. That would make it 789 euros.

I could risk myself on that option.

Assuming I can get a good sample.
You could also sell your current lens for parts and get something off it on eBay. Even broken lenses fetch some money there.

[quote name='eltoucan' timestamp='1335717992' post='17863']

Tamron 17-50 F2.8 - 269 euros - I am a bit afraid of the Quality Control of Tamron

[/quote]

I don't think there's much to be afraid of - most Tamron owners I've seen praise the lens. My 7-year old copy goes just as well as it did when new.

Quote:Canon 17-85 IS - 319 euros - I like the range

It's a good middle-of-the road choice, but I think you may find better choices now

Quote:Canon 17-55 IS F2.8 - 859 euros - I think it is out of budget for me even if I think it is the best.

No arguing there

Quote:Canon 18-55 IS - 99 euros - So cheap and apparently a good optic.

The optics are good but I would find the focus quite awkward, especially when coming from a ring-USM.

Other choices would be the 15-85, which would be a direct upgrade of the 17-85, as well as the new range of f/2.8 stabilized lenses from Tamron and Sigma

The choice really is between shorter-range fixed f/2.8 aperture vs longer-range variable-aperture ones. Frankly I would avoid f/5.6 lenses as much as possible, but your mileage may vary.
Yes it is common problem with Canon 17-85, but this is not the only one lens suffering from similar problem. The earlier diesing ATX tokina suffer from the same problem.

It is not the service department that you have to bleame. This lenses have design problem.

1. No the spare part doesn’t cost 10cents. For tokina and canon was just bellow 10 Euro with send costs.

2. centring of lens grpups should not be a problem since you ether don’t remove the lns group or you remove the several stacked lenses

3. the biggest problem is the dust. Best do it on clean room. However I assume that your old 17-85 is already full with dust inside.

I already repaired 2xTokina 100macro,1xTokina 12-24 and 1xcanon 17-85.

The reparation of canon was not as fast as described at the film – at least mine lens had some glued components. I find Tokina ATX easier to service

PS: Don’t ask me to repair your lens. The first lens I repaired because was challenging, the second one repaired for fun.
[quote name='miro' timestamp='1336047663' post='17965']

Yes it is common problem with Canon 17-85, but this is not the only one lens suffering from similar problem. The earlier diesing ATX tokina suffer from the same problem.

It is not the service department that you have to bleame. This lenses have design problem.

1. No the spare part doesn’t cost 10cents. For tokina and canon was just bellow 10 Euro with send costs.

2. centring of lens grpups should not be a problem since you ether don’t remove the lns group or you remove the several stacked lenses

3. the biggest problem is the dust. Best do it on clean room. However I assume that your old 17-85 is already full with dust inside.

I already repaired 2xTokina 100macro,1xTokina 12-24 and 1xcanon 17-85.

The reparation of canon was not as fast as described at the film – at least mine lens had some glued components. I find Tokina ATX easier to service

PS: Don’t ask me to repair your lens. The first lens I repaired because was challenging, the second one repaired for fun.

[/quote]

Hello Miro

Where did you that component for 10 euros ?

I have found it for 20 euros.

If you have a better price I will be interested.

I also found a company that is charging me 124 euros ship included to repair the lens.

It is not certified by Canon but who cares.

I also contacted Canon about that issue.

Guess what: no answer of course.

Ps: I will not ask you to repair it. I want to have fun too.

Regards,

Emmanuel
Hello Emmanuel,

I have ordered the flex PCB via local Canon service center in the Netherlands.

I've just looked at receipts. At nov.2007 I have paid 9 euro for Flex PCB cable. They sent me the cable as soon as I paid. Before that I contact them via telephone and explain what for part I'm searching for.

One tip - don’t try to tell them that this is design fout. As far as you are talking for thenical part - they are friendly. /As any technician :-)/. Unfortunately this canon service center /Roosendaal/is closed.

But I have very positive experience with the new techrepair center.

In general I’m very positive about service in the Netherlands.

1. Sigma Benelux have a lot of spare parts in stock or even if they don’t have They can find you some substitute. The general rule for spare parts is - 6 years after last production. The most famous sigma lenses have longer term support. e.g. Sigma 150. They give me as example the car industry – e.g. VW beatle, VW Golf and Opel Cadet have spare parts even now.

2. Tokina Netherlands/Europe. – Almere. No problem so far. Several order of flex PCBs they have it on stock.

3. Canon - Several contacts with old and new service center. They are friendly and give you technical advice if you want to do the repairment yourself.

I have only one remark about the service last years.

It becomes very busy. Or they don't have enough capacity. Waiting time is increased.

==========================

PS: I know that my experience doesn’t match the experience of most people. Maybe I’m exception because I have never given my camera or lenses for repair. I ask either for technical advice or spare parts.