Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpness comparision of Tamron 70-300 VC USD with Nikon 70-300 VR
[quote name='Koulang' timestamp='1286967819' post='3601']

As I see your images, I still prefer more depth of field. For example the flower is not fully in focus; it is only sharp in center, and elsewhere is blurry. I love to stop down at F8-F11 or even smaller to get great depth of field. However different people have different preference. I don't have steady hands, and the 750g lens may not balance with small camera body like Canon 500D on tripod unless using tripod mount attached on the lens.

[/quote]

The size of the body makes no difference, in this. Whether it is an 1Ds MK III or a 350D, the imbalance will be the same.

But does that matter? I think not. You do have VC (IS). So, a bit of shake is no problem. If you do not want to make use of IS, then you should consider using mirror lock up + remote shutter control.

I could personally easily shoot handheld at f8 to f11.

But if you still want a lens with tripod mount.... there are then 3 alternatives. The Sigma 100-300mmm f4 (much bigger and heavier, but does not extend), the new Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM (comes with its own tripod mount) and the EF Canon 70-200mm f4 L USM and f4 L IS USM, which you can order a tripod mount for (same one the EF 300mm f4 L IS USM has).

About my images: I do not use a small depth of field because I have to (I can easily stop down to f8 in the light that I use), but because of that my images are visually attractive because of the chosen DOF. Yes, I could choose to have whole flowers in focus, but then my images start to be bland and documentary instead of beautiful and emotional. A choice, rather than a need.

Messages In This Thread
Sharpness comparision of Tamron 70-300 VC USD with Nikon 70-300 VR - by Brightcolours - 10-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Sharpness comparision of Tamron 70-300 VC USD with Nikon 70-300 VR - by anyscreenamewilldo - 10-30-2010, 07:36 PM