Opticallimits

Full Version: Sony 9 coming - better get started, CaNikon...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
CaNikon are old companies - the mirrorless gang are disruptors. And it's the fast that eats the slow ...
Because leopards use to eat turtles...  Big Grin

Quote:Because leopards use to eat turtles...  Big Grin

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQ21Aoo3_4
Quote: 

However, there is one overriding factor in Sony's favour........ the lack of moving mechanical parts, the A9 has only the mechanical shutter to cause problems, the rest is essentially electronic, if you shoot eshutter for example there's no shutter/mirror  life issues and nothing really to prevent you blazing away on the shutter like a maniac.

All is not that well in Sony-land, mostly due to their excellent team (of interns who work for 3 months and go back to school I presume) responsible for the software.

Let me tell you a actually rather common bug that you won't read in the reviews. The dreadful EVF/LCD sensor.

It is well known and documented that this little sensor is horribly excited and switches over to EVF if a truck passes by behind the camera, two streets away. There is more to this story though. The sensor responsible for the switchover never shuts off.

Short of removing the battery, there is no reliable way of turning that thing off, it drains batteries continiously, especially if something is blocking the sensor (like putting down the camera with the lens pointing up or inside a bag). This is why most owners report battery drain overnight and very sub-optimal battery life during shooting, because their camera is drawing current from the battery even when it's turned off if the EVF is against your body or the camera is inside a bag.

There are reports of uninstalling and reinstalling the Remote Control App (Wireless control via phone tablet etc) fixes this. However, in order to do that, I have to update the firmware which will bring me more problems because now the aperture won't stay open during focusing due to another feature implemented via firmware.

You see, Sony may have no moving parts but they have still found ways to make the camera owning experience frustrating, especially when you consider Sony won't fix any issues related to the older but still in production cameras like the first A7 series.

Service won't be able to do anything because this is purely a software issue. 

Meanwhile, my Hasselblad and girlfriend's Rolleicord with all those moving parts are spending time in the hands of a qualified serviceman to ensure a few more decades of contuniued performance.

It's not the lack of existence of moving parts, it's the mentality pretty much all modern companies have. The mentality that the customer should be forced to get rid of their gear for new ones as often as possible, by any means necessary. 
Software problems are one thing, electronic and electric another. And actually, it doesn't need all problems at once to make working with a camera awful.

Dow we as consumers and users have a choice to manifest "we rather pay for quality than for highest possible specs"? I mean in another way to express than our purse?

Be it Fuji, Nikon, Sigma, Gitzo, Apple, Arca - doesn't matter: Although people are saying "Fuji is listening" (or any other brand, I never had access when I wanted to address a weird issue. Especially the first three brands have at some point the standard reply "Thank you for bothering us and delivering your money, now will you please shut up, we need to make the next plan how to squeeze more juice of this user lemons".

Quote:Be it Fuji, Nikon, Sigma, Gitzo, Apple, Arca - doesn't matter: Although people are saying "Fuji is listening" (or any other brand, I never had access when I wanted to address a weird issue. 

Some of those brands are better at solving/avoiding some issues locally. 

For example, Fujifilm has quite good support here where I live (Istanbul/Turkey). They also have (free of charge, mind you) workshops where you can use any of their cameras and all their lenses for a whole day on street. So you can figure out what it's like to actually use their cameras in the field. Actually that's how I realized how awful Fuji's metering in real world and my gf decided that X-T10 with its tilt screen is more practical than X-E2. 

Even Sony has a concept store here whose sole purpose is to let you try their equipment. They don't even sell anything there, you just go in, take any camera and lens combo you want and give them a try. You can even take them outside for a few minutes, they are very lovely people. They even offered me free sensor cleaning when I ran into them in an event and take the (then new) A7S out for a try while my sensor is getting cleaned.

On the other hand, you want a Canon 5DSR? Good luck finding one to try, even for a few minutes. You heard the focus on the new Nikon D500 is great, can you try it with your favorite Sigma lens? Not here you can't. You have to trust on the reviews or find a way to rent the camera.

Actual tech support also depends on the localization, a lot. Of course no amount of localization will help anyone solve any global issues like Sony battery drain or Nikon left AF, but at least a good one will put some effort into dealing with you somehow. And maybe replace the peeling grip and the missing hot shoe cover while they're at it.

I cannot talk about Sony Switzerland. Nikon does not provide an own rental service, just a kind of inofficial replacement for products in maintenance. I can rent Nikon lenses or bodies from several dealers, but if I want new stuff, I have to wait. The 105/1.4 G is not easy to get.

Fuji allows people on certain events to take lenses outside and snap a bit around. I did so with the 56/1.2 APD, pleasing bokeh. And later on I found out, in darkness the focus of this lens really sucks. Nobody told me it's a "bokeh rules" only lense.

Sigma lenses I also can rent for 10% of the sales price / week, 2nd week 5%. And if I decide to buy it, they bill me only 90% of the sales price. Let's see: 1690.- CHF for the 85/1.4A, 90% of that = 1521.- CHF, tempting? Official pice of my dealer is 1198.- I actually have no idea why Sigma CH thinks people don't know how to make a price research. To compare: The Nikon 85/1.4 G I can get for 175.- a week, so that appears to be fair.

And because I'm curious how good this bloody Sigma really is, I just placed a rental order.

Quote:Some of those brands are better at solving/avoiding some issues locally. 

For example, Fujifilm has quite good support here where I live (Istanbul/Turkey). They also have (free of charge, mind you) workshops where you can use any of their cameras and all their lenses for a whole day on street. So you can figure out what it's like to actually use their cameras in the field. Actually that's how I realized how awful Fuji's metering in real world and my gf decided that X-T10 with its tilt screen is more practical than X-E2. 

Even Sony has a concept store here whose sole purpose is to let you try their equipment. They don't even sell anything there, you just go in, take any camera and lens combo you want and give them a try. You can even take them outside for a few minutes, they are very lovely people. They even offered me free sensor cleaning when I ran into them in an event and take the (then new) A7S out for a try while my sensor is getting cleaned.

On the other hand, you want a Canon 5DSR? Good luck finding one to try, even for a few minutes. You heard the focus on the new Nikon D500 is great, can you try it with your favorite Sigma lens? Not here you can't. You have to trust on the reviews or find a way to rent the camera.

Actual tech support also depends on the localization, a lot. Of course no amount of localization will help anyone solve any global issues like Sony battery drain or Nikon left AF, but at least a good one will put some effort into dealing with you somehow. And maybe replace the peeling grip and the missing hot shoe cover while they're at it.

Well it's a marketing and promotional thing, Fuji Lebanon allows you to try their gear in the shop.

For Canon and Nikon only professionals can try  flagship higher end models , they organize big launching events  where  professionals can try the products in real life studio settings with professional models and professional studio lighting , with demonstrations etc...

They known which population to target ...

Quote:Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQ21Aoo3_4

since when is a jaguar a leopard? <_<

:lol:
Details, details ... ;-)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5