Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help with deciding which lens for Canon 5D mark II
Yes, a 24mm prime will come closest.

If you want to see what a full frame 135 fomat DSLR is capable of, the Canon 24mm f1.4 L IS USM is a great choice. However, that lens on its own is already over your stated budget of $1500.

A not all that bad, very affordable alternative would be the Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Macro.

Inbetween in price, the manual focus Zeiss 25mm f2.8 ZE. not widely available yet.

You could of course start with a different lens, to get used to the camera, the system and you preference(s) in focal length working with the 5D mk II.

One lens, that is not super sharp, but very affordable, with very good contrast and colour for the price, is the Canon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM. It actually is a lovely lens for the money, to try out what is what for you focal length wise. It is a discontinued lens, but you should be able to locate new copies for under $300.

Other bargains include the Canon 35mm f2, very compact and yet sharp with surprisingly ok optics, and the bargain start Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM. And the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 zoom, but it will not play totally nice with the Canon flash system (probably due to wrongly communicated subject distance?). Affordable and sharp for a zoom, though.

Messages In This Thread
I need help with deciding which lens for Canon 5D mark II - by Brightcolours - 06-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I need help with deciding which lens for Canon 5D mark II - by scottburgess - 06-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I need help with deciding which lens for Canon 5D mark II - by scottburgess - 07-02-2010, 11:47 PM