Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a 14 inch ultrabook, good enough for photo editing ?
All I can say is that I own the Huawei Matebook 14 D (not S), I bought it as a relatively cheap (500/600€) laptop to carry along during trips without getting too worried about thefts, so I can leave it in the car trunk or at the hotel. I don't use it either for work or for photography (it has only 8GB of RAM, unfortunately soldered), just to browse and check email in a easier way than with the smartphone (BTW, I installed Linux on it). I can give a feedback about the brand: it's extremely well built and works fine.

I suppose that the 'S' you're thinking of is the one with the i7 and 16GB of RAM. For three years my primary laptop was a MacBook Pro 15" with the same processor and RAM, it was pretty good for post-processing 24MP photos — but the Mac had a discrete GPU that was used e.g. by Capture One for photo processing, while I see that the Huawei has only the Intel GPU integrated in the processor.

In general Huawei seems to make very good stuff. I'm seriously planning to quit with Apple once my current laptop will go end of life and move to Linux; so I'm evaluating what manufacturer would be ok. Huawei might be an excellent candidate... too bad for other considerations (security).
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is a 14 inch ultrabook, good enough for photo editing ? - by stoppingdown - 01-24-2023, 01:39 PM