Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang glass
Samyang is certainly building its own path through the EF mount lenses for canon users with the latest AF 85 and 14 mm. Now, has anyone read or heard rumours that they are going to widen their AF lens range to a 50mm too?
I feel the 50mm 1.4 USM canon is in need of an update or replacement and since this is yet to arrive, Samyang could potentially take the market for that mid-range quality AF 50mm lens for canon, and maybe compete with the Sigma 1.4 art?

(I still cannot fathom the absurd price of the L 1.2 which, to me is not justified by the actual glass).

Basically I need a 50mm lens: worth waiting for an AF Samyang?
Depends what camera body you have and what you want.
Sigma ART is excellent yet pricey
Canon 50f1.8 STM is very decent
also consider Canon 40mmf2.8 pancake if f2.8 is enough for you, go for it you won't regret it
So I already have a 50mm f 1.8 but I want an upgrade now. Something with a better build quality, faster focus, wider aperture, better bokeh , less CA, better tonal range and a little bit sharper. So my interest for the canon 50 mm 1 .4
But the main question is, is Samyang likely to release an autofocus 50mm for canon?

If I wasnt too bad with manual focusing (specially at wide aperture) I would have bought myself a Zeiss glass, but you know, clients wants sharp pictures Tongue
If you can afford Zeiss glass, then why not just get the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art? Or even the Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM.
Canon will first focus on building up a RF lens lineup before making new EF lenses.
Zeiss does three different 50mm lenses If I am not wrong with the cheapest being at £700 and the dearest at over £2500 (Otus 55mm). So saying I can afford buying a Zeiss glass is confusing since there are some 2 grands between the lenses.
About the 50mm 1.2 L, I really dont think its worth the money, If I spend that much then that glass needs to be a real deal and I dont this this L lens is.
Sigma is a real good lens, but again, I really like Samyang's and I can see myself buying a new 50mm (either sigma or canon) and then three months later Samyang issues its brand new AF50mm for canon mount. 

(I currently have a 7d Mark II, so the whole point of having a 50mm is to have it cropped to roughly a 80mm focal length which is  great for portraits, which is what I need this lens for.
Then when upgrading to a full frame over the next years, I'll get my hands on the 85mm 1.2 which really sounds worth the money.)
(11-22-2018, 01:26 PM)marcello Wrote: So I already have a 50mm f 1.8 but I want an upgrade now. Something with a better build quality, faster focus, wider aperture, better bokeh , less CA, better tonal range and a little bit sharper. So my interest for the canon 50 mm 1 .4
But the main question is, is Samyang likely to release an autofocus 50mm for canon?

If I wasnt too bad with manual focusing (specially at wide aperture) I would have bought myself a Zeiss glass, but you know, clients wants sharp pictures Tongue

In that case, just forget about Canon 50mmf1.4, it's not usable at f1.4: Very soft with washed out contrast, however f2.0 ans upwards it's a wonderful lens, razor sharp with outstanding colors, and all you were asking for.
My suggestion would be keep your 50f1.8 and get Canon 85mmf1.8 it has all what you are asking for. and you have 2 lenses at 2 focal ranges, you will absolutely love it
There are more AF-options for this range, Canon mount and in good or better quality - why has it to bee Samyang? Or other question: are you sure, Samyang has a repair workshop in the coutry you're living in?

There's a Tamron 45/1.8 (https://www.dpreview.com/products/tamron..._di_vc_usd) and a Tokina 50/1.4 (https://www.dpreview.com/products/tokina...era_50_1p4).

The Sigma Art is in between the two (in terms of price) and still top. Also, contrary to the new Tokina, it's often available second hand. If weight and size are not crucial, I'd opt for the Sigma any time, it's really really excellent.
(11-22-2018, 02:28 PM)marcello Wrote: (I currently have a 7d Mark II, so the whole point of having a 50mm is to have it cropped to roughly a 80mm focal length which is  great for portraits, which is what I need this lens for.
Then when upgrading to a full frame over the next years, I'll get my hands on the 85mm 1.2 which really sounds worth the money.)

I also have 7Dmkii and have the 50f1.4 and 85f1.8, I also had the chance to try 85f1.2 on 5Dsr
i am not tempted at all with full frame, you will miss 7Dii responsiveness and speed, with any full frame camera, image quality side you will see no difference on prints up till ISO 1600 at least if you wanna pixel peep, that's another story.
Using 85f1.2 the focus was quite a challenge, despite AFMA whatever I did there was always shots where focus was close but not 100%, I wouldn't recommend using it on a SLR.
Seeing prices of 5D2 and 6D now, you can get one plus 85f1.8 for the price of Sigma ART or Tokina and your issue is solved,myself  I never go on a serious shooting with only one body anyway, my now classic kit is 7D2 plus 15-85 or 17-55 plus canon 5D plus 85f1.8 or 100mm macro mounted on it, better swap camera bodies  than change lenses, it's much faster.
Not sure it's a good idea to "wait" for any piece of gear that has not been even (credibly) rumored, much less announced.
While it's rather plausible that Samyang are going to come up with an AF 50/1.4 lens for the DSLR systems eventually, how long it's going to take is anyone's guess.
In the interim, there are several options worth considering, like the aforementioned Sigma and Tamron.
(11-22-2018, 06:25 PM)toni-a Wrote: I also have 7Dmkii and have the 50f1.4 
How do you feel the canon 50mm 1.4 performs  on your 7D mark II?

is it really unusable at 1.4 aperture? What do you use it for? (I'd be using it for portraits, both studio and outdoor)

ps. thanks everyone for the answers!