Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D500 double card slot ...... SD slot fails!
For 1600 € he also can buy a fresh D500 grey... Big Grin but they only have two card slots. Hmm. What would be the cheapest Nikon with 2 slots? Even the D7500 goes for 1k€. Well, for that price one can ask Toni to fly over and do the easy-peasy DIY on Dave's D500. Since he already has so profund knowledge about how simple it can be to change a card slot - peace of cake.
As it happens I've barely used the SD slot nearly always using the XQD ...... Nikon service told me that the XQD card slots are far more robust!

JoJu, I bumped into a colleague the other day who's looking out for a used Tamron A022 G2 .... I told him there was a Swiss guy on a forum site with "way more money than sense" and he said that struggled to get any sort of sharp shots with contrast with it ...... if the shot doesn't "come out" he just whips out and buys a far better and more expensive lens ....... the more expensive the better ...... apparently the next replacement for it is the unobtainable Nikkor 500mm PF.....

... So that will leave your Tamron up for grabs ..... and let's face it, it's a pity to let it hang around gathering dust ..... My friend has the G1 version and gets great results from it ..... so with your old G2 now out of favour and your habit of swopping out systems like they are going out of fashion, I thought that I could do you a friendly service by hooking you up with him for the transaction ...... I won't even ask commission (well that's the kind of generous guy I am)

Might as well let it go to a good home where it get used to it's full capacity and not go wasted...... don't you think?
Do you have menu option -> enable backup to cloud. /at the moment of shot,daily, ASAP*/
At anno 2019 Chinese smartphone startups can do this.
We are talking for $1000+ product made in Japan.
(03-28-2019, 08:00 PM)toni-a Wrote: Well all depends on each specific camera design and where the malfunctioning is.
Twin card was made to avoid losing pictures after a card fails  not a rescue feature if one of the card slots fails.
So nothing says in all cameras each slot has a
totally dedicated  circuit and wiring and you might actually have a simultaneous failure of both card slots since they have some shared components

I think in this case there are two circuits, one for each card ..... although the problem here is not electronic.

Looking down the Sd slot I find t a plastic lug which is what pushes the card out, this can be pressed but just like with the card the piece just won't stay in ... it seems that this piece also doubles as the switch to connect the card ..... holding the card in does not connect the card to the camera.
  It is spring here and I just don't want to miss any birding and shot opportunities or make things worse ......  there's winter for that sort of malarkey! .....

P.S. Now I have the same number of cards slots as JoJu's Z7 ...... so I guess I've made it in life ....
Yeah, but lucky you has an XQD slot. That's nearly vandal-proof.

Cool

(03-29-2019, 11:34 AM)davidmanze Wrote: As it happens I've barely used the SD slot nearly always using the XQD ...... Nikon service told me that the XQD card slots are far more robust!

JoJu,  I bumped into a colleague the other day who's looking out for a used Tamron A022 G2 ....  I told him there was a Swiss guy on a forum site with "way more money than sense" and he said that struggled to get any sort of sharp shots with contrast with it ...... if the shot doesn't "come out" he just whips out and buys a far better and more expensive lens ....... the more expensive the better ......  apparently the next replacement for it is the unobtainable Nikkor 500mm PF.....

... So that will leave your Tamron up for grabs ..... and let's face it, it's a pity to let it hang around gathering dust .....  My friend has the G1 version and gets great results from it ..... so with your old G2 now out of favour and your habit of swopping out systems like they are going out of fashion, I thought that I could do you a friendly service by hooking you up with him for the transaction ...... I won't even ask commission (well that's the kind of generous guy I am)

Might as well let it go to a good home where it get used to it's full capacity and not go wasted......   don't you think?

Well, you can send me a PM and we'll see. At the moment the Tamron 150-600 is working together with the Z 7, while the lazy bastards over at Tamron still have no clue how to make their 100-400 work.

Oh and about the "more money than sense" - at least I don't damage my cameras by squeezing SD-cards until they stop at the left side...
(03-29-2019, 11:42 AM)miro Wrote: Do you have menu option -> enable backup to cloud. /at the moment of shot,daily, ASAP*/
At anno 2019 Chinese smartphone startups can do this.
We are talking for $1000+ product made in Japan.

Thanks for another seriously silly post.
(03-29-2019, 06:26 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 08:07 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 01:04 PM)davidmanze Wrote: ●●● That is the third SD card slot that has failed on me now.

there's no way I will pay that price just to have a second SD slot

..... by the time postage is paid the £350 could become £400! 480 euros .....

a brand new grey market D500 has now dropped to 1350 euros! 

Hmmm  ......  That means only 86o euros extra for a new D500!
That 860 euros can pay for 2 extra SD card slot repairs!
Plus: The new grey D500 would also come with only one "Dave-Proof" slot - and the other one...  Rolleyes
Ahhhh ..... but I got you ...... I won't use the SD card slot ........

...... for fear of bankruptcy!