Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSLRs are dead?
(09-19-2019, 02:02 PM)brisco Wrote: For example: I am thinking about change my Fuji XT2 (APSC mirrorless) to Nikon D750 (for example). Would you do it?. I know its a rare case .. moving from Mirrorless to DSLR …

No. If you need to buy glass for it, DSLR is no longer first choice. I had a D750 and I have an X-T2. I could point out a couple of no-go aspects, but I can't point out something in favor for the D750.

May I ask why you think you're better of with FF DSLR? In particular, with this one?
Do you have both cameras?. Great, what is your opinion about this 2 cameras?

In my case: I have been Canon SLR/DSLR all my life. I sold all my equipment, and for many reason (not important here) I have been apart from the photography. A couple of years ago this changed, and I buy the Fuji XT2. In other words, I'm used to ergonomics and handling of SLR/DSLR and a noob in mirrorless side. The same with OVF for example, I prefer it. But I know that the main reason its to buy a FF sensor.

Nikon D750 its a great camera, with a great price right now. Nikon its a novelty for me. It can be interesting. On the other side Nikon Z and Canon R systems are not mature, and I dont like Sony bodies though the performance of the cameras its impressive.

Honestly, I am not decided at all. Only ideas.
It looks like you don't really know why you want a FF sensor...

It's hard to know what's your motivation for switching from APS-C mirrorless to DSLR FF.
In other words:
Is it because you don't like mirrorless in general?
Is it because you don't like the Fuji's ergonomics?
Is it the EVF and you would like an OVF instead?
Is it because it's an APS-C sensor? In this case, what are the shortcomings of an APS-C sensor for your style of photography? Why do you absolutely "NEED" FF?
etc.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-19-2019, 04:23 PM)brisco Wrote: Do you have both cameras?. Great, what is your opinion about this 2 cameras?

In my case: I have been Canon SLR/DSLR all my life. I sold all my equipment, and for many reason (not important here)  I have been apart from the photography. A couple of years ago this changed, and I buy the Fuji XT2. In other words, I'm used to ergonomics and handling of SLR/DSLR and a noob in mirrorless side. The same with OVF for example, I prefer it. But I know that the main reason its to buy a FF sensor.

Nikon D750 its a great camera, with a great price right now. Nikon its a novelty for me. It can be interesting. On the other side Nikon Z and Canon R systems are not mature, and I dont like Sony bodies though the performance of the cameras its impressive.

I have the Nikon D750 and I think it's a great camera ....... why? ..... video aside ...... it does most things well and does pretty much everything you need.....

yes, it has the full frame look .. (DOF), .... low noise and is still class close runner up on DR ..... and the tilty screen ..... most of all, the images are clean, natural and malleable.

It's all that you would expect from one of the best Nikon DSLRs of 5 years ago ( with a topflight sensor even today) ..... AF was an improvement over the D7100, but the AF coverage is poor and for sports/wildlife, the AF is not the best ...... but for all else it's a great all purpose FF DSLR ... if you are swayed by smaller formats? .... all well and good ..... but if you want FF (because it's wonderful and it is !! ) ...... 

..... then it's is a great choice (at a good cheap price of course) ......... the D750 has become a classic !!

Can't comment on the Zs!

(now watch the fireworks ha ha !!)
(09-19-2019, 04:23 PM)brisco Wrote: Do you have both cameras?. Great, what is your opinion about this 2 cameras?

In my case: I have been Canon SLR/DSLR all my life. I sold all my equipment, and for many reason (not important here)  I have been apart from the photography. A couple of years ago this changed, and I buy the Fuji XT2. In other words, I'm used to ergonomics and handling of SLR/DSLR and a noob in mirrorless side. The same with OVF for example, I prefer it. But I know that the main reason its to buy a FF sensor.

I said, I had the D750 (sold long ago) and still have the X-T2. As both are 24 MP, the question really is, what would you gain by buying a DSLR? FF is interesting for to use fast glass, to work with a shallow depth of field.

Nikon Z not mature? Depends on what you compare it to. To me, a Nikon Z6 is no worse than an X-T2 and most of the time better - but there's an X-T3. In FF mirrorless, Sony is a standard. All people complain about the menu, but I think, most complain about the time to learn it - else these cameras would not sell like they do. And the Fuji ergonomics are also not doubtless, I usually need more time to set up and to change set up to another situation with the Fuji - quickly from landscape to bird, forget it.

Have you tried the boost mode of the X-T2? The silent shutter? Focus peaking and enlarging the focus zone? Like thxbb12, I can't see a real or good reason to go FF in your post. In which way you feel limited by the Fuji?

My advice would be, go and rent a D750 and figure out if you like it. Maybe do the same with other cameras you're interested in. Soon you'll realize what's beyond this hot steam the marketing departments do vapor about all new models...$

Quote: it does most things well and does pretty much everything you need.....

Now that's a unique selling point, dave  Smile Can't be said of any other camera on the market  Cool
(09-19-2019, 10:31 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:

I said, I had the D750 (sold long ago) and still have the X-T2. As both are 24 MP, the question really is, what would you gain by buying a DSLR? FF is interesting for to use fast glass, to work with a shallow depth of field.

Nikon Z not mature? Depends on what you compare it to. To me, a Nikon Z6 is no worse than an X-T2 and most of the time better - but there's an X-T3. In FF mirrorless, Sony is a standard. All people complain about the menu, but I think, most complain about the time to learn it - else these cameras would not sell like they do. And the Fuji ergonomics are also not doubtless, I usually need more time to set up and to change set up to another situation with the Fuji - quickly from landscape to bird, forget it.

Have you tried the boost mode of the X-T2? The silent shutter? Focus peaking and enlarging the focus zone? Like thxbb12, I can't see a real or good reason to go FF in your post. In which way you feel limited by the Fuji?

My advice would be, go and rent a D750 and figure out if you like it. Maybe do the same with other cameras you're interested in. Soon you'll realize what's beyond this hot steam the marketing departments do vapor about all new models...$

Quote: it does most things well and does pretty much everything you need.....

Now that's a unique selling point, dave  Smile Can't be said of any other camera on the market  Cool

Whatever you do M4/3 and APSc sensors cannot match full frame in terms of DOF or noise...... so that gives a versatility that is absent from Fuji ..... so your witty comment is right !! Smile

I think many people under-rate the advantages of running a FF and APSc bodies from the same manufacturer ...... using the same glass (with a few DX lenses extra) ...... Canon users have this advantage .... and Pentax of course ..... Sony has their A6000 range but the modus operandum isn't the same.

I want to underline that the D750 can be had S/H for €800 or so ..... if all else was equal (price wise) I would go for the Z6 mainly for the better AF coverage ..... but there is a large difference in price between the two.

Otherwise I would go for a D850 S/H of course !!
[quote pid='48695' dateline='1568974105']
davidmanze

Whatever you do M4/3 and APSc sensors cannot match full frame in terms of DOF or noise...... so that gives a versatility that is absent from Fuji ..... so you witty comment is right !! Smile
I think many people under-rate the advantages of running a FF and APSc bodies from the same manufacturer ...... using the same glass (with a few DX lenses extra) ...... Canon users have this advantage .... and Pentax of course ..... Sony has their A6000 range but the modus operandum isn't the same.

I want to underline that the D750 can be had S/H for €800 or so ..... if all else was equal (price wise) I would go for the Z6 mainly for the better AF coverage ..... but there is a large difference in price between the two.

Otherwise I would go for a D850 S/H of course !!
[/quote]

Some people say DoF but want to say shallow DoF  Rolleyes

Same MP count, it's not that sure I could not get a more shallow DoF with the Fuji - I'd just need to use the 56/1.2 while "the other guy" uses a 70-200/4 on his D750 and very soon "the advantage of the FF" would disappear.

Anyway I haven't read good reasons from Brisco, so all we do is chitchatting.
(09-20-2019, 10:08 AM)davidmanze Wrote: I think many people under-rate the advantages of running a FF and APSc bodies from the same manufacturer ...... using the same glass (with a few DX lenses extra) ...... Canon users have this advantage .... and Pentax of course ..... Sony has their A6000 range but the modus operandum isn't the same.

Totally agree, 7DMKii is an awesome companion for EOS RP, it excels just where EOS RP has weaknesses,and where you need speed and reach like sports, birding,
Well, attractiveness of APS-C offerings would be rather subjective, I guess. ;-)
For many, including myself, most of APS-C offerings are poor on the lens side, to put it mildly. Exception is of course Fuji as they are the only one that is developing a “proper” APS-C system.
(09-20-2019, 02:22 PM)MatjazO Wrote: Well, attractiveness of APS-C offerings would be rather subjective, I guess. ;-)
For many, including myself, most of APS-C offerings are poor on the lens side, to put it mildly. Exception is of course Fuji as they are the only one that is developing a “proper” APS-C system.
Plenty of excellent APS-C lenses in Canon and Nikon world not only Fuji
Check Canon 17-55f2.8 IS or Canon 60mmf2.8 macro, maybe they have less dedicated APS-C lenses than Fuji, but you can easily use full frame lenses.
If you have both and full frame, and you own télé lenses APS-C will give you sometimes some very handy extra reach, without forgetting it is using the sweet spot of the lens that Translates some very decent image quality.