Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report - Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO
Still collecting samples. Very promising anyway.

https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1081-laowa65f28
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Great lens, except the unfortunate background bokeh... So not a lens I'd especially would choose for close up stuff.
It's pointless to look at the sample pictures as most informations needed are simply not there - no distance, no aperture. I know, the aperture number is useless as it depends very much on the distance and the given numbers on the aperture ring are only valid when focused at ∞. It doesn't fetaure a spring aperture, does it?

The blotchy bokeh at the lizard is something some Nikkor Z lenses also show. But when taking macros with a uniform background, that would not matter much.
(01-29-2020, 08:48 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: The blotchy bokeh at the lizard is something some Nikkor Z lenses also show. But when taking macros with a uniform background, that would not matter much.

Yeah, the lizard shot's stone background is starting to do micro donuts ...... 

...... a slip up on an otherwise great little lens ........

....... soft bokeh should be a macro lens's stock in trade!
You people are really hard to please. Guess you're not "the average Bruce and Sheila" Klaus mentioned (it made me laugh out loud). Smile
(01-29-2020, 09:31 AM)Rover Wrote: You people are really hard to please. Guess you're not "the average Bruce and Sheila" Klaus mentioned (it made me laugh out loud). Smile

We people see lens prices reaching to the moon (okay, not on Laowas) and somehow I always think if something is expensive it also should deliver...
Macro lenses are usually all excellent, if you look at its competitors in Canon land, 50mmf2.5 performance is very close, also EFs 60mmf2.8 is very close except for vignetting at f2.8
FYI - the image with the Gecko was overexposed and accidentally shot as straight JPEG (as all the others but their exposure was generally fine).
So I had to apply some rescue efforts on this image.

As mentioned - I'm still collecting samples.

As far as pricing is concerned - remember that this is a 2:1 macro as well as an APO. This doesn't come for free. But yes, the background bokeh is not ideal which is why I didn't rate it at 4.5pts optically.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(01-29-2020, 10:29 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: We people see lens prices reaching to the moon...

...while the dinosaurs in here (count me in) enjoy prices for already existing, reliable and proven technology coming down to earth Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Dinosaur indeed, I bet you still point the lens away from yourself when taking a photo!