Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest on EOS R5
In the meantime ......

the Canon R5 is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...e=emb_logo
(04-23-2020, 10:35 PM)Klaus Wrote: Except that 3% is nothing ;-) Herd immunity is supposed to happen at 60+% I read.
Europe & the US had an exceedingly poor response to the coronavirus crisis.
I'm especially baffled by comments on how good Germany is doing but Merkel has been sacrosanct by the German press in recent years.

Anyway, the other number that is more relevant in this scope will be the jobless rate. If we are absolutely lucky, it'll be in the 10-12% range over the next few years with most countries in deep recession. Cameras are, mostly, a pure luxury item thus sales will be hit hard.

However, what could the manufacturers do about it? They will have to release new products anyway or give up. Those who are in a better financial position will win from here.
Canon will surely be among them. Sony and Fuji, yes. As for the others ...
Maybe we will see a rise of MFT ... because they could provide cheap stuff ... if they wanted to (albeit today, they are all pursuing "premium").

Canon medical department is doing very well but are they willing to spend the earned money on cameras?
Fujifilm have their drug favipiravir used against coronavirus bringing them a lot of money, their business is extremely diversified, they are capable of handling any crisis.
Sony is an insurance company they have deep pockets but, we need to see if the company would be ready to spend money on cameras.
As for Nikon, it doesn't seem rosy however if Mitsubishi conglomeration decides to save Nikon of course they can.. But would they put millions on declining business?
(04-24-2020, 03:33 PM)toni-a Wrote: Canon medical department is doing very well but are they willing to spend the earned money on cameras?

Well, it looks very much like it !!
Many are touting it has a 45 Mps sensor .......

I can see this camera at 4,000 dollars plus !! .......
(04-25-2020, 08:44 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Many are touting it has a 45 Mps sensor .......

I can see this camera at 4,000 dollars plus !! .......
Well it must have around 45 MP, basically because Canon already announced it has 8K DCI format, which means 8192 pixels on its long side.
8K video then is 8192 x 4320 pixels, and for stills, in 3:2 format, it therefore must be 8192 x 5461 pixels, or 44.7 MP.

I hope it is going to be quite a bit cheaper than USD 4000, as that translates to close on 4500 euros these days with 2 yr warrantie, exchange rates and VAT ....

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
It will be interesting to see what price Canon will set for R5. If it will deliver on 8K and AF as many hope for - and that is a big if for now - I would expect it quite a bit north of 4k. Yet, in current situation when sales have dropped so much, they might change their initial positioning.
I will vote for $5,000+.
It will be interesting to see what definition the EVF has and what the refresh rate is ??
I'm more interested in the R6 actually. Maybe it'll be an R5 with lesser video capabilities.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The R5 is a "sports camera" (fast FPS). It just has video features as extra, There won't be a 45mp high fps model with less video features..