Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laowa 11mm f/4.5 announced
https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-...4-5-ff-rl/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Laowa took to heart "Every millimeter counts at the wide end"
Looks like it is not so great in the corners, at any aperture, on FF anyway.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Reportedly not upcoming in Canon RF mount (like the 9mm... dang that sounds like a small arms caliber!) due to the strong color casts found with these lenses when used on RF bodies. Though I guess the adventurous folks may adapt the Leica M versions, color cast be damned.
(08-31-2020, 12:32 PM)Rover Wrote: Reportedly not upcoming in Canon RF mount (like the 9mm... dang that sounds like a small arms caliber!) due to the strong color casts found with these lenses when used on RF bodies. Though I guess the adventurous folks may adapt the Leica M versions, color cast be damned.

Who reported that?
(08-31-2020, 12:32 PM)Rover Wrote: Reportedly not upcoming in Canon RF mount (like the 9mm... dang that sounds like a small arms caliber!) due to the strong color casts found with these lenses when used on RF bodies. Though I guess the adventurous folks may adapt the Leica M versions, color cast be damned.
Samyang XP Premium 10mm F/3.5, with Canon adapter.
At F/8 it is very, very sharp, the entire field, little to no distortion. Not cheap, and not small, but I'd recommend it highly.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(08-31-2020, 01:04 PM)wim Wrote:
Samyang XP Premium 10mm F/3.5, with Canon adapter.
At F/8 it is very, very sharp, the entire field, little to no distortion. Not cheap, and not small, but I'd recommend it highly.

Kind regards, Wim
Well, yeah, but these Laowas are not DSLR lenses so they're in a different class. Apparently much smaller, too.
There's voigtlander 10 MM f5. 6 even wider and already available in Sony mount
Aside interior and real estate photography I don't see where I would use such lenses, I don't remember the last time I needed anything wider than 16mm full frame
(08-31-2020, 06:40 PM)toni-a Wrote: There's voigtlander 10 MM f5. 6 even wider and already available in Sony mount
Aside interior and real estate photography I don't see where I would use such lenses, I don't remember the last time I needed anything wider than 16mm full frame
I've used the Samyamg for event photography, to get an overview of an entire hall / conference room, or a special shot from the speakers rostrum and such. Even 10 mm on FF is sometimes not enough. Of course there also is the possibility to get different perspectives with such an extreme UWA lens, which you could not get otherwise Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
(08-31-2020, 09:05 PM)wim Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 06:40 PM)toni-a Wrote: There's voigtlander 10 MM f5. 6 even wider and already available in Sony mount
I've used the Samyamg for event photography, to get an overview of an entire hall / conference room, or a special shot from the speakers rostrum and such. Even 10 mm on FF is sometimes not enough. Of course there also is the possibility to get different perspectives with such an extreme UWA lens, which you could not get otherwise Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
I get your point, maybe I am biased because when I need extremely wide I don't hesitate to use a fisheye, and checking some old pictures (before COVID-19) an ultrawide is very interesting for the dance floor in weddings, although 16mm is wide enough for me