Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm feeling an itch
The review of the RF 28-70mm f/2 USM L will be out tomorrow or so.  As good as it gets, of course.

But I'm a bit bored. I think it's time to do a couple of vintage lenses again.

The Helios 44m-4 seems interesting ... but given the war, it's hard to get a cheap one. 

Any idea for a cheap and cheerful "swirly bokeh" lens?

Maybe a Minolta MD 135mm f/3.5 or so?

Any suggestions for bokehlicious lenses that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Fujinon 50 f/1.0.
Not exactly cheap, but bokeh seems very nice ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I have bought two 58mm f2's in the past, they were cheap indeed. Almost impossible to make sense of the "info" online about the different "versions"/production runs/ manufacturers, though.
From eBay you can find them for under €50 from all kinds of places, still.
The Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 is also a crazy swirl monster.

(04-24-2022, 01:31 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Fujinon 50 f/1.0.
Not exactly cheap, but bokeh seems very nice ;-)

That Fuji only swirls a bit like other fast 50's due to the mechanical vignetting, nothing very extreme, if my recollection is correct?
Indeed, the Fuji is not very swirly. I was more thinking about Klaus' bokehlicious statement.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Did I say cheap & cheerful? ;-)

In theory, Markus has reviewed the Fujinon already but he vanished into the next rabbit hole again for various reasons.

Anyway, after some first exploration I'm considering the following:
- Minolta MD 100mm f/2.5
- Leica Elmar 135mm f/4
- Helios 44m 58mm f/2
- Jupiter-9 85mm f/2
- Pentax Takumar 135mm f/3.5
- Olympus Zuiko 100mm f/2.8

I'd like to explore the "classic" looks ... if there's one at all ...

Boah, I just had a look for a Helios-40-2 on ebay - insane price tags.

Or old Meyer Optik Trioplan 50mm f2.9, for soap bubble bokeh (or just plain headache bokeh, depending on usage). Or Trioplan f2.8/100mm, also a strong bubble machine... https://www.ebay.com/itm/334416934328?ha...SwQJdiXqA4

Classic looks maybe are not the extreme soap bubble and swirl bokeh looks, but perhaps the normal unruly big aperture look from the various 58mm f1.2/55mm f1.2/50mm f1.2 lenses from the manual focus 135 format era, for instance?

[Image: 89C599086C60444BAB43CDC9C76D9132.jpg]
(04-24-2022, 10:40 AM)Klaus Wrote: The review of the RF 28-70mm f/2 USM L will be out tomorrow or so.  As good as it gets, of course.

But I'm a bit bored. I think it's time to do a couple of vintage lenses again.

The Helios 44m-4 seems interesting ... but given the war, it's hard to get a cheap one. 

Any idea for a cheap and cheerful "swirly bokeh" lens?

Maybe a Minolta MD 135mm f/3.5 or so?

Any suggestions for bokehlicious lenses that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?

The Helios 44M -4 unfortunately is not a very interesting lens in terms of bubble bokeh/ old look  ...... mine has been transformed into a front reversed element model btw. and thus gives that dreamy only sharp in the dead center look ..... in it's standard form it's like many 50+mm F2 lenses.
  The only Helios that's worth it's salt is the 42M -2 58mm F2 preset lens ....... good bubble bokeh and a good usable all round lens .......  (the preset feature is a very useful one on all ML bodies) 
    I guess Australia wasn't the prime market for Helios lenses so looking further afield would be required withal the extra expense of postage/ Customs... 
  Ebay UK has some relatively cheap 42M-2 58 mm examples ..... see here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=..._sacat=625

there's one for twenty bucks US with a bit of fungus ....... the lens is super easy to disassemble !!

....... a technical review of this popular ubiquitous lens would probably go down well .......

Once you step away from heritage Helios bubble bokeh glass prices rise considerably !!
I contacted a seller in Ukraine and, surprisingly, he seems to be able to ship a mint Helios 44 (a later variant) so I went for it.
If it gets lost on the way, the transaction will help him a little bit in the current situation at least.

As far as ultra-fast primes are concerned - yes, certainly interesting, but I don't want to invest a fortune really.
If the price tag approaches new Voigtlander lenses, the limits of sanity have been overstepped really.

I'm currently discovering the wonderful world of radioactive lenses LOL

https://www.robertallenkautzphoto.com/radioactivelenses