Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report - Meike AF 85mm f/1.8 STM
At $199, it's a steal. Heavy fringing, though.

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...meike85f18
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Referred to as "f/1.4" in the distortion chapter... just sayin'. Smile
FWIW I like the "Meike" name more than some other chinese brands... come on, "Xiaomi" which means "small rice" (of course this might be an idiom I don't know, but still...)
Good review of a bargain lens .......

...... I think I could accept most of it's shortcomings except that fringing ..... the lone guy standing on the beach shows unacceptable amounts of it.

A bit of a pity .....
(08-25-2022, 09:40 AM)davethebirder Wrote: Good review of a bargain lens .......

...... I think I could accept most of it's shortcomings except that fringing ..... the lone guy standing on the beach shows unacceptable amounts of it.

A bit of a pity .....

just checked the photo, yes it's a pity, however isn't digital correction effective of fringing ?
This is purple fringing so this wouldn't be trivial. Stopping down helps.

(08-27-2022, 06:22 AM)toni-a Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 09:40 AM)davethebirder Wrote: Good review of a bargain lens .......

A bit of a pity .....

just checked the photo, yes it's a pity, however isn't digital correction effective of fringing ?

Well, the times I had to remove this sort of fringing, was by cloning it out .....  purple fringing, albeit blue/purple/green ....... glowing away just like bright lenses did in the old days wide open ....... (isn't it due spherical distortion?)

luckily Klaus highlighted it (pardon the pun) both in text as well as with appropriate images ......... 
 ........ either it's a stop down lens only or you would have be super careful about any sort of back-lighting ...... 

...... a lot to swallow when there are so many other better 85mm F1.8 out there for just a few dollars more .......
(08-27-2022, 08:48 AM)davethebirder Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 06:22 AM)toni-a Wrote:

A bit of a pity .....

Well, the times I had to remove this sort of fringing, was by cloning it out .....  purple fringing, albeit blue/purple/green ....... glowing away just like bright lenses did in the old days wide open ....... (isn't it due spherical distortion?)

luckily Klaus highlighted it (pardon the pun) both in text as well as with appropriate images ......... 
 ........ either it's a stop down lens only or you would have be super careful about any sort of back-lighting ...... 

...... a lot to swallow when there are so many other better 85mm F1.8 out there for just a few dollars more .......

I think you can expect a similar degree of fringing from the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM.

However, I suspect that the AF is better with the Canon lens (via adapter).

With the add'l costs for an adapter, you'd be far beyond the $199 price tag of the Meike, though.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to take my old AF-85mm F1.8D down to beach this afternoon on the D750 to see what results I get in terms of purple fringing wide open .......

........ in the interests of historical optical science of course ....... Smile