Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen calibration white point question
Hi,
I am using my colormunki photo to calibrate my screen, colors look natural however during calibration software asks about white point.
my screen is very bright, measured it is 320, I1 studio software suggests I use 120, for this I have to greatly decrease screen brightness.
I chose in software I couldn't controle brightness so it created a custom profile that works
is it better I set a higher white point in the software straight from beginning or am I just fine this way ?
I reckon only the manufacturer can answer this question ...

Generally, I don't quite see what the brightness has to do with the color calibration. The brightness affects the dynamic range. But I'm not a color scientist.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-14-2023, 12:56 AM)Klaus Wrote: I reckon only the manufacturer can answer this question ...

Generally, I don't quite see what the brightness has to do with the color calibration. The brightness affects the dynamic range. But I'm not a color scientist.

Exactly this. To get a decent scale without oversaturation and maximum dynamic range the whitepoint generally needs to be quite low. You won't be able to see the entire dynamic range otherwise. A monitor, especially those with a full or close to full sRGB or Adobe RGB range cannot be used in 'dynamic' mode for exact colours and dynamic range, which results in a rather dark whitepoint.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
One thing I am sure is that the white point is not high enough to be accurately measured because it is affected by saturation and width.
When calibrating your screen using a colorimeter like the Colormunki Photo, the choice of white point can have an impact on the overall color accuracy and appearance of your display. The white point refers to the color temperature of white displayed on your screen.Typically, the standard white point options are D65 (6500K) or D50 (5000K). D65 is commonly used as it represents a neutral white that is close to daylight, while D50 is often used in color-critical applications where accurate color matching is crucial.  Donkey Kong
When the software suggests a white point value, such as 120 in your case, it is recommending a target white point for calibration. This recommendation is based on industry standards and best practices for color accuracy.