• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > Small light mirrorless for mountain walking
While moving countries, I appear to have lost my Panasonic G3 and 14mm f/2.5 pancake, a compact and very light kit I have been using for multiday mountain walking with lightweight gear.

OK, I thought, I can use it as an excuse to get a new micro 4/3 camera.. maybe a modern equivalent of a Lumix GM1.. but seemingly there are no such compact models anymore. OK, well perhaps I could get another GX9 even if it is a bit heavy in comparison, the sensor is better. But all the micro 4/3 cameras look big now.. what the?!

If I got that right, I wanted to ask what people think would be a good alternative / format? (It doesn't need to be able to use my other micro 4/3 lenses, as long as my GX9 keeps going.)

I would like 15-20MP sensor, ideally stabilised, RAW output, exchangeable lens with f/2.8 max aperture & equivalent focal length between 24 and 35mm (landscapes) and ideally a viewfinder. Probably a prime lens makes sense.

Camera, lens, polariser and 2 batteries should ideally weigh in at around 500g (or less!). For outdoor purposes splash proofing would not hurt, but I am usually able to keep the camera dry if it is small enough to fit under the raincoat.

The smallest compact Sony (Alpha 6000) looks good although not cheap. I even see that they have 24mm and 30mm equivalent pancake lenses, the former not being very good though.

Does anyone know any good options? Cheaper wouldn't hurt, but if it lasts 10 years..
Lumix S9?
(10-14-2024, 06:17 AM)MLonlooker Wrote: Lumix S9?
Thank you - I didn't even know they did full frame! Main issue with that one: It is 3 times my budget. Why they don't do a micro 4/3rds version I don't know.. mobile phones I guess.
The OM-5 is tiny, really ...

And so are the Sony 6x00 series and the Fuji X-T30/50.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji